Re: [UniQuaria] NEED HELP FAST!

  • Will
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
      No. There isn't any sign of anything that I can see.

      Will Cronk
      Fenton MI 48430
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
        No. I haven't brought any knew fish home in a while. I am going to have to break down one of my tanks then because just a week ago I set up a small ten gallon for some Pingu Guppies that should arrive today. I guess I will have to tank a chance on fresh water treated with stress coat and the stuff that adds good bacteria to the water as I don't have another tank. I am dealing with either a fungus infection or popeye in my 20 long and now this in my 55. I guess I do have a 5 gal that I could set up as I temperary holding tank.

        What can I do to get rid of the bacterial infection?

        Will Cronk
        Fenton MI 48430
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
          Message
          Will,
          I mentioned before bacterial medicated fish food.  This stuff is wonderful and begins working quickly.  Then of course your water treatments along with the medicated food.  Have you read any of my posts?

          Bacterial treatment is through an antibiotic. Chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Or use tetracycline.  I had mentioned this to you once before regarding your pop-eye.  It is a great treatment (tetracycline) but will turn your water brownish and cause a film on the top.

          Also, bacterial is hard to cure.  It is wise to move the infected fish, as you say your are working on.  Continue treating all the water as the infection has likely spread.  They say to euthanize the infected fish but I am an advocate of at least trying to save them.  I've been successful with the above treatments.

          Leslie

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
            Message
            Yes. Leslie,

            I did get all of your posts. Just have gotten confused with all the answers coming in. I have tetracycline, melafix, Jungle fungus clear. I am trying different cures in my different tanks to see what is working the best since all of the tanks have it. I was using one sink syphon hose(python) on all my tanks so now I have to treat everything. Add to that the infected tank that I had set for my "hybrid pingus" that arrrived today complete with babies. I hope they are going to be okay because I have ran out of tanks so they are in a treated tank by themselves. Probably best anyway since they traveled by mail.

            I will let all know of the outcome of my ordeal. The hardest part was knowing what to treat for. Too many things have some of the same symptoms.

            Thanks Leslie and to all.

            Will Cronk
            Fenton MI 48430
          • Wilma Duncan
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
              Will, I would try a bacterial medicated food and also try Marycan 2 I have had great success with this. If you use so much of the other medications you will only further weaken the fish. If you can feed them lots of live foods this will help to boost their immune system.
              Wilma

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005

                Hello ,

                Is the female from the killi fish more colourful?

                Mikki

              • Will
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Where do you get the medicated food at? I haven't seen it on any shelves in my area before.

                  Will Cronk
                  Fenton MI 48430
                  Will, I would try a bacterial medicated food and also try Marycan 2 I have had great success with this. If you use so much of the other medications you will only further weaken the fish. If you can feed them lots of live foods this will help to boost their immune system.
                  Wilma
                • Julie Haddy
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 2, 2005
                    On 12/1/05, Will <avman@...> wrote:
                    Where do you get the medicated food at? I haven't seen it on any shelves in my area before.

                    Will Cronk
                    Fenton MI 48430

                    I found it in a package in the medications section at PetsMart.

                    Julie Haddy

                  • Will
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 2, 2005
                      I will have to check the Petsmart in my area. I called them and they said they didn't have it but then again at the Petsmart here they really need to change the second part of their name!

                      Will Cronk
                      Fenton MI 48430

                    • saphiresprincess@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 2, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/2/2005 6:32:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, avman@... writes:
                        I will have to check the Petsmart in my area. I called them and they said they didn't have it but then again at the Petsmart here they really need to change the second part of their name!

                        Will Cronk
                        Fenton MI 48430
                        Try the other big name one, I'm in Grand Blanc, 48439- whats it called there on S Saginaw...I get mine there, Pets plus or Pet supplies Plus.  If you don't have one of those in fenton try Petco
                        Brenda
                      • Will
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                          I ordered the food from Petsmart and then found out they do have it in the store. I bought I bottle and brought it home. Its pellets and it is to big for my fish to eat. I thought it would be flake food. It didn't say it was a pelleted form. I tried soaking them and then feeding them but they are still to big for my fish to get ahold of. I am going to see if I can return the 4 that I ordered from Petsmart. I need to find a flake form so my fish will eat it. I don't know where I am going to find one.

                          Will Cronk
                          Fenton MI 48430
                        • L Heintzelman
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                            <<I need to find a flake form so my fish will eat it. I don't know where I am going to find one.>>

                            Why not just crush it into a flaky powder?  I crush some of my pellets in order for some of the smaller fish to be able to eat it.

                            LH

                          • Sue Parks
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                              Message
                              Crush them with a spoon and pan.

                              Sue Parks ~AB~DLE~

                              Nothing satisfies a longing

                              like a Dachshund.

                              I ordered the food from Petsmart and then found out they do have it in the store. I bought I bottle and brought it home. Its pellets and it is to big for my fish to eat. I thought it would be flake food. It didn't say it was a pelleted form. I tried soaking them and then feeding them but they are still to big for my fish to get ahold of. I am going to see if I can return the 4 that I ordered from Petsmart. I need to find a flake form so my fish will eat it. I don't know where I am going to find one.

                              Will Cronk
                              Fenton MI 48430

                            • Leslie & Dane Moore
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                                Message
                                can you crush the pellets?  that works well for my smaller fish.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 4, 2005
                                  In a message dated 12/4/2005 11:30:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, tirlith@... writes:
                                  <<I need to find a flake form so my fish will eat it. I don't know where I am going to find one.>>

                                  Why not just crush it into a flaky powder?  I crush some of my pellets in order for some of the smaller fish to be able to eat it.

                                  ALSO I soak them in evian water until they are puffed up and very soft, then you can easily break them into very small bite sized peices.  You don't need much water, and I pour the water they were soaked in into the tank to make sure all the antibiotics or antifungal meds is not wasted.
                                  Brenda