Re: Popeyed Bettas Parasitic Puss Spot

  • lruark114
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi, I read a little on this site and it sounds like a parasitic
      disease of some sort. The site says that usually raising the temp a
      bit and adding one teaspoon of epsom salts or aquarium salt per 5
      gallons is just as good or better than alot of commercial products.
      I'm sure if you read here for a while you'll be able to decide what
      to do next.
      By the way, just about everything you ever want to know about fish or
      plants or anything aquarium related is on this absolutely WONDERFUL
      site. Good Luck!

      http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/bettadiseases.htm

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie & Dane Moore"
      <5moores@c...> wrote:

      > So the post I sent out a day or so ago went without answer so I'm
      trying
      > again. Never seeing a parasite, I don't know what they look like
      > exactly. My betta has a popped eye and underneath is a protruding
      white
      > stringy something that look like puss oozing out of a wound. The
      base
      > of this that is on her skin is red and bloody. That could be two
      thing
      > to me. 1. It's the wound in which is infected hence the "puss."
      or 2.
      > It's the wound caused by the sucking parasite.
      >
      > I removed her to get a closer look and when I did the white stuff
      fell
      > off into the conainer I placed her in and there is now a bloody
      spot on
      > her -the white thing. I treated the tank with pimafix since it's a
      > wound either way. I also treated with acriflaven in the case of a
      > parasite. I did that last night and the thing was 2x's as long this
      > morning. Very bad.
      >
      > I treated the tank w/ tetracycline 4 days ago, continuing still,
      then
      > acriflavin yesterday, pimafix today.
      >
      > Help please?
      >
      > Leslie

    • Ken Roy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
        Some of the Ranchu and Oranda fanciers in my circle permanently keep them
        in saltwater (two teaspoons per gallon) and others do not consider this a
        good practice. I would like to have some input on this.

        Ken Roy,

        Lahore, Pakistan
      • Ken Roy
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
          What could be the possible reasons for discuses becoming dark bluish?

          Ken Roy,
          Lahore, Pakistan.
        • Nimish Mathur
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005

            Ken,

            The Salt debate that exist amongst your friends also exists at a much larger scale on the internet. The answer to the question: Does salt in the water help fish? Is kind of forbidden to ask as a lot of people have very strong feelings for this and can very easily start hot arguments.

            I leave it up to you to try it out yourself as to does salt help or not and believe what you think.

            If you ask 100 people, you will get 50 answers saying that it is beneficial and 50 saying it is not.. but if you ask people: Should freshwater fish always be kept in slightly saline water, then you will get 80 answers saying that you should not and 20 saying that you could.

            My belief is that salt helps in adverse situations but keeping freshwater fish in water with little salt added all the time is not right. This is not their natural environment.

            Nim

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
              This is usually the first sign of illness or poor water conditions.
              Impossible to say what it could be without more info but it's likely
              not a good sign.

              Giancarlo Podio, LMD

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Ken Roy <ldbe@w...> wrote:

              > What could be the possible reasons for discuses becoming dark bluish?
              >
              > Ken Roy,
              > Lahore, Pakistan.

            • Lois
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
                Ken,
                Imo:
                It is probably due to the higher PH that your water
                has now since the change of the system in your area.
                Your discuses don't like it. If you don't take care
                and find out what it is that they don't like, you may
                lose them. Are they eating? How are the other fish
                with them doing? I think you said you have angels with
                the discus.
                Lois,LMD
                Ohio,USA