Re: Grrr, Those Gouramis!

  • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
      >Im not sure they would have enough room in
      >a 10 with a divider. Maybe you could get a pair
      >of younger ones...if they grow up in your tank
      >they wont be so crabby, and 5 year olds
      >usually love babies, maybe that would be
      >acceptable to her?? You could try the ten and
      >see how it goes...it would be worth the
      >experiment not to crush your daughter. � Then
      >maybe if it doesn't work the novelty will have
      >worn off be then and she wont be so
      >attached? Carli LMD TN USA

      Hi, Carli:

      I might just go ahead and try it for now; like you say, maybe the
      attachment will wear off, or, if not, maybe I'll be able to pick up a 20
      gal (to divide), or another 10 (for 2 separate tanks) :0). They aren't
      full grown yet--they are just over 2 inches right now (not counting the
      tail).

      That makes it even more disappointing! I wonder how aggressive they will
      be when they're full grown! I even got them from different stores
      (although they may be from the same stock, since there is a local
      breeder here in town.)

      I was also wondering, do I need to do anything for my cories' fins, or
      will they be okay without doing anything?

      Thanks for your help, Carli!

      Megan
    • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
        Hi, Lois--

        >I like gouramis too, but I can only keep one
        >and that too only with the goldfish. They pick
        >on all the others and bully even the ciclids!

        I do really like gouramis, and I picked Pearls because they are supposed
        to be very peaceful, but my two must be out of the ordinary (or else a
        lot like other members of the gourami family!)

        >A 10 gal seems too small after being in a 29,
        >but I once put a gourami in a 5 gal hex for
        >awhile for punishment, or more to save one he
        >was chasing. Do you have any plants for the
        >corys to hide in?

        I do have a lot of plants in the 29--21 plastic ones and 2 real ones
        (sometimes I can't even see my cories, and just have to wait 'til they
        show up!), but the gouramis can slip through everything (I've even seen
        them turn completely sideways to slip between a plant and the gravel!),
        and the cories never get a chance to poke around in peace :0(. I think a
        10 seems small, too; hopefully I can get a bigger tank before they're
        full-grown (or else I'll have to take them back :0( )

        Thank you, Lois!

        Megan
      • Carli613@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
          In a message dated 10/1/99 5:47:35 PM EST, Flickers3@... writes:

          > I was also wondering, do I need to do anything for my cories' fins, or
          > will they be okay without doing anything?
          >
          > Thanks for your help, Carli!

          Your welcome! The corys will probably heal up fine on their own, just keep
          an eye out for fungus and nasties like that. Maybe add some Wound -Ease or
          Stress Coat...might make them more comfortable and give you peace of mind.
          carli LMD
          Tn USA
        • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 1999
            >Your welcome! The corys will probably heal up
            >fine on their own, just keep an eye out for
            >fungus and nasties like that. Maybe add some
            >Wound -Ease or Stress Coat...might make
            >them more comfortable and give you peace of
            >mind.
            >carli LMD Tn USA

            Hi, Carli!

            Thanks again! (I'm just now catching up on my e-mail from Friday night
            on) My cories are doing well; the fins seem to be slowly starting to
            heal, with no sign of fungus so far :0).

            Friday night I got a tank divider and two more potted crypts, divided
            the 10 gallon and put a gourami on each side. So far they've been doing
            great, and with their size right now they have plenty of room. The first
            night the female slipped through the divider to the male's side, and
            started chasing, biting him, etc. Got that fixed; yesterday the male got
            through; they seemed to be getting along really well, then he started
            chasing, biting her! Now I'm pretty sure I've got the divider set with
            no way for them to get through. I'm hoping they might eventually be able
            to be together, after an "acquaintance period" (or am I just being a
            hopeless optimist here?!)

            Anyway, the great news is, my cories are very happily (and relaxedly!)
            cruising the tank once more! Now I feel really bad they were forced into
            hiding by the gouramis; it's so obvious that they were hiding and scared
            by the gouramis...

            Megan

            P.S. A Malaysian Trumpet Snail must have hitched in on the crypts; I've
            always had kind of a "snail phobia"; but he's kind of cool--I think I'll
            leave him in there!
          • Tony Schembri
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 1999
              Next time you get a nipped fin, you might like to try and paint the edges
              with dilute methylene blue. If you can catch the cory that is.

              Tony.

            • Carli613@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 1999
                Megan,
                Im glad every thing is going better and your corys are healing. It is
                possible, I would think, that after they are forced to look at each other but
                remain inaccessible, they'll get used to having each other around. Good
                luck, and I wish you the best.
                Carli LMD
                TN USA