Re: Grrr, Those Gouramis!

  • Lois Pandya
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
      Megan,
      I like gouramis too, but I can only keep one and that too only with the
      goldfish. They pick on all the others and bully even the ciclids! I have
      never put them with the Africans! That would be certain death. My gold fish
      are large and flutter around alot with the long tails and all. The gourami
      just tolerates that and keeps out of the way, sometimes swims along with one
      or the other.There are not any slow fish in that tank. A 10 gal seems too
      small after being in a 29, but I once put a gourami in a 5 gal hex for awhile
      for punishment, or more to save one he was chasing. Do you have any plants for
      the corys to hide in?
      Sombody on the list breeds gouramis I believe. Maybe they could be of help.
      Lois

    • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
        >Im not sure they would have enough room in
        >a 10 with a divider. Maybe you could get a pair
        >of younger ones...if they grow up in your tank
        >they wont be so crabby, and 5 year olds
        >usually love babies, maybe that would be
        >acceptable to her?? You could try the ten and
        >see how it goes...it would be worth the
        >experiment not to crush your daughter. � Then
        >maybe if it doesn't work the novelty will have
        >worn off be then and she wont be so
        >attached? Carli LMD TN USA

        Hi, Carli:

        I might just go ahead and try it for now; like you say, maybe the
        attachment will wear off, or, if not, maybe I'll be able to pick up a 20
        gal (to divide), or another 10 (for 2 separate tanks) :0). They aren't
        full grown yet--they are just over 2 inches right now (not counting the
        tail).

        That makes it even more disappointing! I wonder how aggressive they will
        be when they're full grown! I even got them from different stores
        (although they may be from the same stock, since there is a local
        breeder here in town.)

        I was also wondering, do I need to do anything for my cories' fins, or
        will they be okay without doing anything?

        Thanks for your help, Carli!

        Megan
      • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
          Hi, Lois--

          >I like gouramis too, but I can only keep one
          >and that too only with the goldfish. They pick
          >on all the others and bully even the ciclids!

          I do really like gouramis, and I picked Pearls because they are supposed
          to be very peaceful, but my two must be out of the ordinary (or else a
          lot like other members of the gourami family!)

          >A 10 gal seems too small after being in a 29,
          >but I once put a gourami in a 5 gal hex for
          >awhile for punishment, or more to save one he
          >was chasing. Do you have any plants for the
          >corys to hide in?

          I do have a lot of plants in the 29--21 plastic ones and 2 real ones
          (sometimes I can't even see my cories, and just have to wait 'til they
          show up!), but the gouramis can slip through everything (I've even seen
          them turn completely sideways to slip between a plant and the gravel!),
          and the cories never get a chance to poke around in peace :0(. I think a
          10 seems small, too; hopefully I can get a bigger tank before they're
          full-grown (or else I'll have to take them back :0( )

          Thank you, Lois!

          Megan
        • Carli613@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
            In a message dated 10/1/99 5:47:35 PM EST, Flickers3@... writes:

            > I was also wondering, do I need to do anything for my cories' fins, or
            > will they be okay without doing anything?
            >
            > Thanks for your help, Carli!

            Your welcome! The corys will probably heal up fine on their own, just keep
            an eye out for fungus and nasties like that. Maybe add some Wound -Ease or
            Stress Coat...might make them more comfortable and give you peace of mind.
            carli LMD
            Tn USA
          • Flickers3@xxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 1999
              >Your welcome! The corys will probably heal up
              >fine on their own, just keep an eye out for
              >fungus and nasties like that. Maybe add some
              >Wound -Ease or Stress Coat...might make
              >them more comfortable and give you peace of
              >mind.
              >carli LMD Tn USA

              Hi, Carli!

              Thanks again! (I'm just now catching up on my e-mail from Friday night
              on) My cories are doing well; the fins seem to be slowly starting to
              heal, with no sign of fungus so far :0).

              Friday night I got a tank divider and two more potted crypts, divided
              the 10 gallon and put a gourami on each side. So far they've been doing
              great, and with their size right now they have plenty of room. The first
              night the female slipped through the divider to the male's side, and
              started chasing, biting him, etc. Got that fixed; yesterday the male got
              through; they seemed to be getting along really well, then he started
              chasing, biting her! Now I'm pretty sure I've got the divider set with
              no way for them to get through. I'm hoping they might eventually be able
              to be together, after an "acquaintance period" (or am I just being a
              hopeless optimist here?!)

              Anyway, the great news is, my cories are very happily (and relaxedly!)
              cruising the tank once more! Now I feel really bad they were forced into
              hiding by the gouramis; it's so obvious that they were hiding and scared
              by the gouramis...

              Megan

              P.S. A Malaysian Trumpet Snail must have hitched in on the crypts; I've
              always had kind of a "snail phobia"; but he's kind of cool--I think I'll
              leave him in there!
            • Tony Schembri
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 1999
                Next time you get a nipped fin, you might like to try and paint the edges
                with dilute methylene blue. If you can catch the cory that is.

                Tony.

              • Carli613@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 1999
                  Megan,
                  Im glad every thing is going better and your corys are healing. It is
                  possible, I would think, that after they are forced to look at each other but
                  remain inaccessible, they'll get used to having each other around. Good
                  luck, and I wish you the best.
                  Carli LMD
                  TN USA