RE: [UniQuaria] Sterilizing a Tank

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2005
      <<Specifically, how do I sterilize: >>

      <<The driftwood>>

      Wash in hot water. Do not boil.

      <<The gravel>>

      Wash in hot water. Do not boil.

      <<The tank itself>>

      Wash with warm water.

      In all honesty, there's probably no real need to really "sterilize" the
      tank. A good cleaning is all that's needed.

      Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
      Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
      The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
    • harry perry
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
        All I've ever used is scalding hot, salted water and let sit. Rinse well.

        Harry

        Sapress123@... wrote:
        Cycling a tank comes up often enough on the list, but how to I sterilize one to start anew?

        The tank in question is a little 14L (about 2 gallons) that I kinda, maybe, thought would be my quarantine, but that I now want to make into a shrimp tank instead.  The decision was helped along by the fact that the UGF that came included with the setup died a mysterious death and I remember reading Betty’s post (I am so sorry if I am confusing names) that she has a little 2 gallon cherry shrimp tank next to her computer that does not use filtration.

        Specifically, how do I sterilize:
        The driftwood
        The gravel
        The tank itself

        Thanks so much,
        Susanne in Germany
        sapress123@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
          <<All I've ever used is scalding hot, salted water and let sit. Rinse well.>>

          I would not use that hot water on a glass tank. Chances are too great of cracking the glass.

          I do need to ask this question: why do people go through all this trouble "sterilizing" tanks, gravel. wood, etc? If the tank and equipment has been sitting dry, chances are good that any pathogens would be long dead. Even if the tank had housed fishes that had Ich, a simple cleaning with warm water and a good rinse should be sufficient. The use of salt to "sterilize" (as in salt and rinse) is also of doubtful use as salt needs to be in contact with the pathogen for a period of time. Salting and rinsing will have no effect on the parasite. As to boiling rocks, driftwood, etc., again I need to ask why? Rocks and driftwood are not vectors for disease and even if they came from an infected tank, a rinsing in hot water will be sufficient. You just want to remove any traces of the original tank water, which could carry a parasite. And boiling rocks can be dangerous if there are air pockets trapped inside. There is an outside chance (very, very slight chance) that, a the air expands, it can fracture the rock. And boiling driftwood can break down the cellular structure of the wood, causing it to rot quicker (depending on the type of wood, of course).
          The only time I would really sterilize a tank (meaning, using household bleach or Virkon as a disinfectant) would be if the fishes had monogeneans of some type. IME, a simple rinsing may not remove all the eggs. And these eggs are pretty resilient, and may even be able to withstand slight drying. They are not resistant to bleach, though <<G>>.

          Frank
        • Sapress123@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
            Thank you Frank and Harry for your recommendations. Harry, I have never heard of the salt treatment. How long would I need to let it all sit before the salt takes effect??

            To answer Frank's question about why "sterilize"...

            Mea culpa, I am not using the word in it's correct sense. When I said sterilize, I meant how do I get rid of the algea on the acrylic tank and the driftwood, and how do I get rid of the snails and possible nasties in the gravel?

            What I ended up doing (without waiting for UniQuaria advice because it took 24 hours to post my question and another 24 for Frank's first answer) was giving the driftwood the stiff brush treatment under warm tap water and then leaving it to dry in the sun. I then poured some white vinegar into the tank and took a sponge to the algea and rinsed a lot. The gravel I treated with a tablespoon of bleach, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and left it in the sun.

            Thanks for writing.
            Susanne in Germany
            sapress123@...
          • harry perry