Re: Pleco

  • wk yap
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
      Hi all

      i think i am a failuar in keeping pleco.i got my 5th pleco last week and
      till now it still have not take any thing yet(the first all die with in 2
      week got 1 die the next day i bought it).

      i tried all type of pleco food from the lfs shelf and it still not eating.i
      also tried terta bit but also no use.

      can some one out there tell my why?
      i love this pleco,i donot know what type of pleco i have but it have a red
      edge tail and top fin.

      my water ph is @ 5.5 to 6

      what should i do?
    • Tony Schembri
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
        No pleco ever died of hunger inside of 1 week. The ones you got must have
        been sick to start with. Change your supplier and see. As to food, plecos
        enjoy live food, but most will do well on freeze dried blood
        worms/tubifex/brine shrimp and dry food (sinking pellets). Providing
        vegetable matter is very important. Algae wafers are an ideal staple diet.
        It is also important for them to have some roots to rasp on. So, they would
        prefer a planted tank, having plants with a strong root system, but this is
        not essential. Provide caves and hiding places, as most plecos are shy. They
        become more active at night, as a general rule. In any case, to find out
        what your problem is, examine the fish closely. Watch it's behaviour, and
        check on it after you have switched off the lights too. A hollow belly is a
        bad sign. The fish came to you in bad condition. Examine for surface marks,
        and general condition. Check your water quality completely including
        Nitrates, Nitrites, and ammonia levels. When you get a new fish acclimate it
        slowly, especially if your water is not the same as that of your aquarium
        shop.Your pH is perfect for most plecos. Temperature should be in the
        region of 86 degrees F. (30 degrees C), or a bit less, for best results.
        Try and describe your pleco a bit better. I might help you identify it by
        name. I agree, plecos are nice.

        Tony.

      • XiLLuSnX@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
          PH might be to low, find out what the PH was in the stores water, that might
          have contibuted. I have lots of pleco's and their huge..... my PH is at 7.8.
          Dont know, that might work.
          Dennis
        • Carli613@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
            In a message dated 10/1/99 2:09:55 AM EST, wkyap8@... writes:

            > i think i am a failuar in keeping pleco.i got my 5th pleco last week and
            > till now it still have not take any thing yet(the first all die with in 2
            > week got 1 die the next day i bought it).

            If they are dying that quickly, and you have no water problems (no ammonia or
            nitrites) then I would be inclined to blame it on acclimation problems. Tony
            in his past gave some good advice on what to do about that. It would help if
            the Fish stores pH is close to yours.
            Don't feel too bad, plecos are one of those fish some people just have
            problems with at first...I have been told if you can get them to live for two
            weeks you are passed the danger zone. Same thing is said about ottos...I
            myself had problems with those, but keep them successfully now...there is
            hope!
            BTW, don't expect to see new plecos to eat for a very long time...mine took
            months before they were brave enough to eat in front of me. I left them food
            in the night and hoped for the best.
            Carli LMD
            TN USA
          • Tony Schembri
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 1999
              Speaking of bottom dwellers; today I noticed that my 2 small CAE's
              completely ignore spirulina sticks, but the tetras couldn't get enough !

              Tony.