Re: What causes a nitrite spike

  • Giancarlo Podio
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hard to say, I don't see it like 1/3 every other week = 1/6 every
      week. The point of waiting is to wait for the nutrients to stop
      escaping from the disturbed substrate. This can vary depending on
      depth and how dirty the substrate is, I've had tanks explode with
      filamentous algae for well over a month following a 50% deep
      vacuming. Once the gravel is clean however, a light hover or a
      shallow vacuming can be done more regularly without any problems.
      It's when you dig deep that the biggest problems can arise.

      Giancarlo Podio, LMD

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Emily Tenczar <bababanana@y...>
      wrote:
      > Ok, thanks! So that would be 1/6 every week. I vacuum random spots
      throughout the tank. Is that what you do?