Re: [UniQuaria] Re: plant question-more questions

  • Wilma Duncan
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 31, 2005
      You are right about this as a friend of mine tried the lazy way and lost tanks and tanks of fish by using Easy Balance.
      Wilma
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2005

        Yah. 2 years ago I had a problem getting rid of duckweed. Had to filter using a large net every 3 days for over a month until the entire thing was eradicated completely.

        Now, I have problems growing duckweed. I don’t really know the reason why but at the moment, I want duckweed to thrive but it has been failing.

        Also, in mbuna or goldfish tank, it is very hard to keep duckweed alive as it is a great food for these fish.

        Nim

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2005

          Giancarlo Podio <gpodio@...> wrote:
          In most cases the hard part is getting rid of duckweed, so my guess
          is yes, they will likely thrive.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • msannw
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2005
            My filter always takes a minute or so to get going again and it
            doesnt have any damage.

            As for that EasyBalance, it sounds like something for someone who is
            lazy about water changes. In my opinion, fish are like any other
            animal...if you dont have the time to properly care for them then you
            houldnt have fish at all.

            Ann

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren D." <vamprel@y...> wrote:
            > thanks Ginacarlo, now that leads to another question. whenever i
            turn off my filter to clean, it takes several minutes for the pump to
            get started back up again. i plug it in, and it will begin to pump,
            but even if i pour water into the filter it still takes a few minutes
            to get it going steadily again. it has been so long since i had an
            aquarium i dont remember if it always did this or not. is this
            normal?? once it finally gets going it works fine. im just worried im
            doing something incorrect and i dont want to damage the filter or
            anything. you'll find i tend to worry about every little thing, but
            once ive gotten the hang of all this ill be sharing my knowledge with
            the best of ya!!
            > oh and another question: i bought this stuff a week ago, thinking
            it was something else. it is from the brand "TetraAqua"it's called
            EasyBalance and it says in big words on the front "reduces frequent
            water changes" on the back it says after applying this stuff, one
            only has to do PWC every 6 months or so. it balances everything, says
            it stabilizes Ph, and reduces nitrates and phosphate. it is a water
            conditioner.
            > the thing is it says i wouldnt need to do a PWC for six months
            after the first dose, and at the 6 month point, i should do a 50-75%
            water change. is this stuff bogus? shouldnt i continue to do at
            least 20-25% PWC weekly?? has anyone else ever used this? anyone know
            about it? it sounds too good to be true, and to stay on the safe side
            i feel i should continue to do small water changes. i just am curious
            if anyone else has used or heard of this stuff. thanks again!!
            > Lauren
            >
            > Giancarlo Podio <gpodio@u...> wrote:
            > In most cases the hard part is getting rid of duckweed, so my guess
            > is yes, they will likely thrive.
            >
            > Lauren, mom to Memphis,(2) and River(1) 28weekers
            > http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/memphisskye/
            > http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/riversage/

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Lauren D.

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Some hang on power filters can take a little to start up. Make sure
                  the impeller magnet and pin are both clean and that the tube is clean
                  and mounted correctly, other than that it may just be normal for your
                  model.

                  As for Tetra product... I can't say I take these products seriously
                  at all. I've never tried them so I can't say much about them. I
                  prefer Tetra Aquasafe and regular water changes as the starting point
                  of any tank. If one needs to do less water changes, the best method
                  IMO is planting the tank and reducing the fish load.

                  Hope that helps
                  Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                • d3dd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Female Guppies do not develop color
                    except for some bits on the fins.
                    Perhaps your bully was some other
                    kind of fish?
                    Joanna, LMD
                    who once was stunned to watch a group
                    of young Mollies harrassing, bullying and
                    possibly nibbling at a large oddball
                    species of Puffer that cowered in a corner
                  • Crazy4fids@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 4, 2005
                      In a message dated 8/4/2005 8:40:21 P.M. Central Standard Time, d3dd@... writes:
                      <<<<Female Guppies do not develop color
                      except for some bits on the fins.>>>>

                      I have seen female guppies with yellow as well as orange hues .  Nothing bold like swordtail colors, but a far cry from the drab gray females that I started out with so many years ago.  I have also seen darker grey ones with black tails.  This is the female that gave me around 40 fry the day after I put her into my 150 tank.  The fry were just starting to show their color when they started disappearing.  Not enough cover and some growing angelfish and keyhole cichlids.

                      Linda
                    • thesydmonster
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 4, 2005
                        I agree. I have some female guppy fry that are actually quite
                        colorful... mainly a yellow hue and some with blue fins. I am
                        excited to see how they all grow out since the parents are all quite
                        colorful and different looking!
                        Rebecca

                        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Crazy4fids@a... wrote:
                        > In a message dated 8/4/2005 8:40:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                        > d3dd@w... writes:
                        >
                        > <<<<Female Guppies do not develop color
                        > except for some bits on the fins.>>>>
                        >

                        > I have seen female guppies with yellow as well as orange hues .
                        Nothing
                        > bold like swordtail colors, but a far cry from the drab gray
                        females that I
                        > started out with so many years ago. I have also seen darker grey
                        ones with black
                        > tails. This is the female that gave me around 40 fry the day
                        after I put
                        > her into my 150 tank. The fry were just starting to show their
                        color when they
                        > started disappearing. Not enough cover and some growing
                        angelfish and
                        > keyhole cichlids.
                        >
                        > Linda
                      • Rymel
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 10, 2005
                          > > In a message dated 8/4/2005 8:40:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                          > > d3dd@w... writes:
                          > >
                          > > <<<<Female Guppies do not develop color
                          > > except for some bits on the fins.>>>>

                          you're right, i guess i said it wrong. they have yellow tail fins
                          with blue spots, and blue fins on top. the mom of them all is a nice
                          half blue, the entire rear half of her body. i had to give the 2
                          bullies to the local pet shop though. not only were they the only
                          ones pecking, one liked to peck at the other in the same container.
                          so there goes that problem. thanks everyone.