Re: [UniQuaria] Re: First water change ... and two dead gouramis

  • Rene Brehmer
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 2, 2005
      Actually, our tetras don't seem scared of the red gourami, they just avoid
      it. Like when it approaches, they just change direction ... or they race
      towards it and just go under it ... They're really fast ... And they're
      bold enough to race it for the food ... they'll race all the way from one
      end of the tank to the other if they spot a pellet of food falling down ...
      and if the gourami is too close they'll break off, but only if they can't
      get the food without the gourami getting too close.

      The gourami hasn't done its jumping since the first day after we got it ...
      but it's the first aquarium fish I've ever seen do tricks like that ...

      We were thinking of getting a Betta to put in our tank, since they're so
      beautiful, and only attack other Bettas ... and we're pretty convinced that
      it wouldn't take any harassment from the gourami without giving some back
      ... afterall, it IS a fighting fish ... guess you have to be pretty mean to
      keep those incredible fins intact... only the one store sells them for
      $4.65, and the one we normally go to have them for about $7 ... first one
      have them in jars with saran wrap over them, the our regular one have
      little "dixie cup" lids on them ... and we don't wanna risk going cheap and
      get a sick fish ... that's why we only look in Wal-mart, but don't buy
      anything there ... We don't want a bowl-betta, we just want the betta in
      our community tank because they're so beautiful ... we want colourful fish,
      even if it means having to pay a little extra to get them... If we had a
      saltwater tank we would've gotten those clownfish we found in Animal World
      ... couldn't help but go "hey! it's nemo!" when we found them ... so cute :) .

      We'd really like to have something cool like a stingray ... but the $300
      one we found is way too big for our tank ... and a bit pricey ... does a
      freshwater stingray exist that don't get a bigger wingspan than 5-6 inches
      ??? ... Because that's about the limit of what we'd be able to put in the
      tank for it still be able to turn around ... although we'd have to
      reorganise the bottom of the tank and put sand in instead of the rocks,
      since a ray can't really hide in the rocks ... (atleast I think it'd get
      hurt trying) ... Erica says we can just put sand on top of the rocks, but I
      dunno if that's the best idea ... last thing we'd want is for the fish to
      get cut on the rocks ... it's scary enough watching the ones we have go
      behind the heater...

      Rene

      --
      Rene Brehmer
      aka Metalbunny
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 5, 2005
        At 14:31 05/07/2005, Julie Haddy wrote:
        >I saw a demonstration several months ago on DIY overflow systems made with
        >PVC, looked pretty simple and inexpensive, but was geared towards water
        >changes across multiple tanks. I can't seem to find the link I've seen on
        >some these systems, but a littl
        >e searching on DIY and maybe overflow with aquarium might give you some
        >ideas on rigging up a simple water change system. Let us know if you find
        >the perfect solution. I just keep dropping hintings to the hubby that a
        >Python would be a great gift, but
        > so far he hasn't taken the clue.

        I found a link to someone's DIY system in alt.aquaria.something but it was
        more meant for breeding tanks than a hobbyist, and I found it to a large
        degree to be a lot more complex and expensive than necessary.

        I was considering using water pumps like we use for water cooling in
        computers. Problem is those run on 12 V DC, so would require a transformer
        to make it work. But since you need one to power the electronics anyway, it
        might not a big issue.

        Rene

        --
        Rene Brehmer
        aka Metalbunny

        We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
        Internet but pop-up advertising!

        http://metalbunny.net/
        References, tools, and other useful stuff...
        Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/