Shipping fish

  • Karen Perdue
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
      Reading all the posts makes me just wonder about companies and their
      policies!

      On a killi list, many folks can't get the USPS to ship Express, the post
      office says FedEx(who contracts for Express service it seems) won't accept
      live animals, regardless of what the postal codes say.

      UPS tells folks no live fish, (yet they deliver fish to me all the
      time!)Airborne USED to take fish, didn't know DHL had bought them out, and
      that they didn't accept live animals. FedEx says no fish, yet they delivered
      live fish, clearly MARKED as live fish, so who knows how the apply whatever
      regulations they have!

      I've not had a problem with USPS, and good packing does make a difference
      (right Auntie Fran?<G>) as to who loses more fish? Any one of them can, and
      that goes for shipping airline direct as well. Delta in Atlanta is
      definitely NOT the best at tracking cargo, they make more of my hair go grey
      every time I have to go down there to pick up a shipment,<G>

      Bottom line is, no shipper is infallible, some packages are going to slip
      through the cracks, and sometimes things don't go the way we want them to.
      <shrugs>
      Karen Perdue
      windamyr@...
      http://www.geocities.com/windamyr

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
        <<Delta in Atlanta is definitely NOT the best at tracking cargo, they make
        more of my hair go grey every time I have to go down there to pick up a
        shipment,<G> >>

        LOL! so it's not just them targeting me. Good to know. <<G>> I had a
        shipment of 18 boxes of marine fish coming into JFK on Delta a few weeks
        ago. I called Delta Air Cargo to track the flight, and was told it was
        delayed in Michigan and would get out on one of two flights. They could not
        tell me WHICH flight, though. I was told to call back later in the
        afternoon. Around noon, we get a phone call from Delta at JFK that the fish
        are there waiting for us! Now I was told an hour or so earlier that they
        would not arrive until after 3 pm. Great tracking, huh?

        OTOH, the USPS has been great for me. There have been some late or missing
        packages, but considering the number I ship, it's very few in comparison to
        the overall total. I am going to register with FedEx as a live animal
        shipper, but I think I'll continue to use the USPS as my main shipper. For
        me, FedEx is good for shipping locally since their ground service is next
        day to a good number of places near me.

        Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
        Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
        The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
      • d3dd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          Time for our UniQuaria story of the
          White Bettas.
          LMD Edwin shipped 2 pairs of his
          beautiful fancy Bettas from the Far
          East. The fish were on the airliner
          on Monday, Sept 10, 2001.

          Sept 11, 2001 the airliner was here
          in the US and grounded for several days.

          The UniQuaria Bettas sat in their tiny
          bags with tiny bits of water in a cargo
          hold or cargo bay for days. When
          they finallly did reach my house in Kansas - they fish were alive and
          well.
          We auctioned them off as a fund raising

          I was just amazed.

          Joanna, LMD