Re: A horrific picture this morning

  • Stanley Radzewicz
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
      125 ml? I use 5 ml in a 50 g tank, that number from the
      instructions. Even for a first dose the instructions say 35ml for
      70g of water.

      I have read somewhere, don't remember where, not to overdose Excel.
      Why use such a huge amount?

      If you have plants in the tank you should have zero ammonia as that
      is the preferred form of nitrogen, even if you don't have plants you
      should have negligable ammoina.

      Stan

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Billijean S. Hobson"
      <b.hobson@c...> wrote:
      > I went last night and picked up some Flourish Excel. I used 125 ml
      in a
      > full 75 gal tank which should be nothing in a tank this size
      according
      > to forums read and instructions on the bottle its a very small
      level
      > above the directions.
      >
      > Most of my fish are dead or dying, horribly burned. I had tested
      the
      > water before adding and all the chemistries were fine with a small
      rise
      > in ammonia. It doesn't look like ich, its definitely burned.
      >
      > I'm doing a 50% water change and adding tetrcycline to try and save
      any
      > that I can. My large plec looks to be okay but the cats and the
      blood
      > parrots that I've had for 3 years do not look like they will make
      it.

      > --
      > Billijean S. Hobson
      >
      > Note: The information contained in this message and any attachments
      may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If
      sender immediately by telephone at (877) 731-5464 or return email.
      Thank you. MAXimize
    • d3dd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
        I am so sorry to read this. I sure
        enjoyed your story of the people
        who enjoyed your fish.

        Joanna, LMD
      • Kristy Milland
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
          At 07:21 PM 4/1/2005, you wrote:
          >--- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Billijean S. Hobson"
          ><b.hobson@c...> wrote:
          > > I went last night and picked up some Flourish Excel. I used 125 ml
          >in a
          > > full 75 gal tank which should be nothing in a tank this size
          >according
          > > to forums read and instructions on the bottle its a very small
          >level
          > > above the directions.

          The Flourish Excel directions say:

          DIRECTIONS: On initial use or after a major (>40%) water change, use 1
          capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*).

          So for a 75g tank that would be 5 mL * 7.5, which is 35.5 mL. I'm sorry to
          say that 125 mL IS a large level above the directions.

          I did the same thing once with potassium permanganate. I read in a book how
          to make a solution of it, but it said *on the next page* that you're only
          supposed to use a few drops from that solution. I only read how to make the
          solution itself and dumped the whole thing in. Needless to say my fish were
          dead within about 10 seconds. You're not alone :)

          Sorry for your losses, I hope you're able to bring back the remaining fish
          to health.

          Kristy
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
            Billijean, if you have not done so already, go out and get some PolyAqua
            (Kordon makes it) and add it to the tank. Speaking from experience, this
            artificial skin slime will really help especially in conjunction with an
            antibiotic like nitrofurazone (2 ppm as a 24 hour bath, then do a 50% water
            change, and redose. Remember to remove and chemical filtrants you may be
            using).
            As to dosing Flourish, I have noticed that the directions on all the bottles
            are the same: 1 capful (5 ml) per X number of gallons. The problem here is
            that if you have a large bottle of the stuff, that cap is going to hold a
            heck of a lot more than the cap on the smaller size bottle. For example, the
            2 liter bottle cap holds about 11 ml while the 500 ml cap hold about 6 ml.
            Big difference.

            Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
            Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
            The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
          • Patrick, American Fish Guy
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
              The directions on the bottle, at the bottom in large print, also say "Do not overdose." :)

              Patrick

              As to dosing Flourish, I have noticed that the directions on all the bottles are the same: 1 capful (5 ml) per X number of gallons. The problem here is that if you have a large bottle of the stuff, that cap is going to hold a heck of a lot more than the cap on the smaller size bottle. For example, the 2 liter bottle cap holds about 11 ml while the 500 ml cap hold about 6 ml. Big difference.
              Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
              Visit
              http://www.franksaquarium.com
              The Freshwater Crustacean Farm