RE: [UniQuaria] Re: Odd Questions on PH, Nitrites, Ammonia etc

  • Richard Bunn
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
      I can sympathise with your dilema on reading test cards. I too use API
      liquid test & wouldn't really use another brand. The only thing I have
      problems reading is the pH (because they changed the chart slightly over the
      past year) I have to get my wife to interpret that. I also have difficulty
      reading the nitrate results if it is 40ppm or higher. It needs to be under
      40ppm anyway so I figure if it's causing me a problem in reading it, it's a
      problem in the tank too.

      Incidentally, years ago I had API tablet test kits that were great as they
      have a longer shelf life, I haven't seen them in a while, they do take much
      longer to test as the tabs have to dissolve but if you can get them they're
      good.

      You can get electronic probes but they're expensive and still need to be
      callibrated from time to time (I'm not sure how).

      Regards
      Richard

> [...]
      >(I have the Hagen) I'm still with Ken on this, I find it difficult to
      >read the colors to a high degree of certainty.
      >Just last night I couldn't make out if the color after the test for
      >nitrates indicated 10ppm or 50ppm. And I get swayed depending if I
      >look near the bottom end of the test tube or the top.
      >
      >I'm not color blind, as far as i know I see colors as well as
      >anybody, but when I try to match up these test results I'm all over
      >the chart. I think my confusion stems from the fact that I'm trying
      >to compare the transmitted color (through the test tube) with the
      >reflected color off the chart: They just don't compare well in my eye.
      >
      >I wish there were an (inexpensive) automatic color reader and
      >comparator to compare the test tube colors with what's in the
      >booklet.
      >
      >Stan
      >

      >--- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Lois Pandya" <Biglo@r...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ken,
      > > I don't trust the "strip tests"--personally. I use Aquarium
      > > Pharmaceuticals' test kits. They are the kits that have a bottle
      >(or 2)
      > > of solution that you drop into test tubes of tank water, follow
      > > instructions, and then match the color of the result with an
      >included
      > > color chart. There are more steps than just dipping a strip, but I
      >find
      > > them acurate and easy to read. Included in the instructions are
      > > paragraghs on what the tests mean and how to monitor the various
      >levels.
      > > They have warehouses(?) or distribution centers in USA,UK and
      >Canada,
      > > according to my box. They also have a web site--
      >www.aquariumpharm.com.
      > > Lois,LMD
      > > Ohio,USA
      > > >

      > > > My question is, when conducting other tests from the kit for
      >ammonia,
      > > nitrites, and nitrates, what level am I to be looking for? what is
      >an
      > > acceptable number on the scales?
      > > >
      > > > Also, do electronic measures exist for this or just the strip
      >tests.
      > > I find it difficult to differentiate on the colors sometimes, the
      >shades
      > > of blue for example with the low ph test. Ken
      > > >
      > > ******I have heard of electronic or digital and computerized
      >testers but
      > > they are really expensive and I have no idea if they work
      > >
      >well******************************************************************
      >**
      > > >

      >Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
      >www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly
      >qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed
      >your expectations. Please visit their website at
      >www.highaspirationsinc.com.
      >
      >Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:

      Get the ultimate e-mail account - sign up for Hotmail Plus!
      http://www.imagine-msn.com/hotmail/en-ie
    • Tom Reagin
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
        Before I found Bio-Spira, I always cycled my tanks
        with Zebra Danios or Platties. These are hardy fish
        and with frequent small water changes (even twice a
        day) (5-20%,) I lost few fish. I do have more
        frequent ich outbreaks during the cycle.

        I tried cycling with guppies and lost many. I tried
        cycling with Neons and lost all.

        I keep Platties on hand to cycle new tanks for school
        classrooms.

        Yours

        TomR

        =====
        Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
        104 Church Street
        Decatur, GA 30030

        Voice (404)378-3694
        Fax (404)373-0741

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tom Reagin
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
          > Additionally, if anyone is familial with the Emporer
          > 400 filtration system, do I need to put anything in
          > the chambers? I know the blue filter is there but
          > there are these chambers to0, should they be filled?

          I'm very pleased with mine. I have crushed oyster
          shell in the grey filter chambers to add calcium to
          the water and keep the ph up. You don't have to use
          anything. The sponge idea is good, but your biowheel
          will provide more biological filtration than any other
          part of the filter.

          Yours

          TomR

          =====
          Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
          104 Church Street
          Decatur, GA 30030

          Voice (404)378-3694
          Fax (404)373-0741

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pawslover@charter.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
            Nancy,

            What type of test kit are you using? Have you had the fish store test your water as well? Sometimes the tests are not accurate and it's time to get a new one. Maybe yours were sitting on the shelf too long before you got it.

            I agree with Stan. It may be hard to believe, but new tank syndrome is the most likely scenario. I went through the same thing recently. I set up a 12 gal tank and used some tank water from my other tank and some used filter material from another one as well. I did the fishless cycling and after about 2 wks. thought the tank was ready for inhabitants. Added 4 small fish. Everything was fine for several weeks then I added 2 scavengers without quarantining them (bad, bad, bad). When my fish started dying, I immediately assumed it was disease brought in with the new fish. I didn't check my water conditions until I'd lost a couple and could not determine any signs of disease. When I checked it, I was having an ammonia spike. Water changes helped, but I should have checked that first. It has taken awhile to get it stabilized again.

            Patience is the key to successful tanks. Take your time, let the tank fully cycle, don't mess with it too much. Those bacteria that are colonizing the filter are a good thing, not just getting the filter dirty. If you're trying to grow live plants, it's not necessary to use carbon and replace filters anyway. Really, the longer they're in use, the better. Just rinse the sponges or filter floss in your siphon bucket on occassion when you do a water change, then put it back.

            As time goes by, add fish slowly so the bacterial colony can keep up with the fish load. I have a well established tank that I plan to order some fish for that I haven't been able to find locally. Since I'm ordering them online, I will probably add more fish at once than I would usually do to save on shipping. I will monitor conditions regularly and do several small water changes weekly until the cycle can handle the increased load, then I'll go back to twice monthly changes.

            Julie Haddy
          • radzewicz@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
              I wonder if women have better inate color vision than men do? I know
              that color blindness only affects males but that's an all-or-nothing
              effect, not a difference by degrees.

              Stan

              --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bunn" <richardmbunn@h...>

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                That's what I experienced when I brought up my first tank: Added a
                few neons, in a few days I noticed a few ick spots, a few days later
                they would die. I know that neons aren't the hardiest fish to use to
                cycle a tank but I wasn't interested in keeping plattys or guppies.

                I started the second tank by half-filling it with water from the
                established tank (it has no gravel bed), and added one of the filter
                sponges for a few days, and never had a problem with it. So from that
                experience I conclude that even water/sponge from an established tank
                will seed a new tank very quickly.

                Stan

              • Iksnip@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                  interesting theory if anyone has any knowledge on the topic. Its amazing because I ran all my tests last night (for practice more than anything) and I swear I cant tell if my ph is 7.2 or 7.6. Now granted the range of 7.2 to 7.6 may not be that big of a deal but the fact that I cant determine the difference clearly due to the tube coloring concerns me

                  Ken
                • Nimish Mathur
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005

                    Sorry Ken?

                    Are you referring about reading the test kits? It works best if you try to compare the colours in a daylight bulb rather then the regular yellow bulb (ironically called warm white). It makes reading the kits a lot easier with daylight bulbs or viewing them under aquarium light if you don’t have daylight at home.

                    Nim

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                      yes Nim and I think you are right. I think it is best to use a high wattage non soft light bulb. Ironically I just bought some yesterday (unrelated to the fish issue) so maybe that will help

                      Ken
                    • Tom Reagin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Color discrimination deficency affects males about
                        four times as often as females. Females have two
                        copies of the gene whereas males have one. It is
                        speculated that because of the duplication there is
                        opportunity for repair. There are degrees of color
                        vision deficency. They range from no color perception
                        to yellow-blue confusion to varying degrees of
                        red-green confusion (most common.) There are also non
                        genetic causes for loss of color discrimination. I
                        recall reading a journal article that stated that
                        women perceive more colors than men. I did not
                        evaluate the reliability of the source.

                        TomR
                        --- radzewicz@... wrote:

                        > I wonder if women have better inate color vision
                        > than men do? I know
                        > that color blindness only affects males but that's
                        > an all-or-nothing
                        > effect, not a difference by degrees.
                        >
                        > Stan

                        =====
                        Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                        104 Church Street
                        Decatur, GA 30030

                        Voice (404)378-3694
                        Fax (404)373-0741

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Lawrence
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                          This is kind of off-topic, but women DO have better innate color vision.

                          My other hobby is restoring cars, and I do my own painting. I've discovered
                          that my s/o can see variances in color and shade far better than I can.
                          Most of my friends have the same situation. The lady receptionist at one of
                          the local body shops is the "final check" for color matching there.

                          Believe it or not... Most of the people that choose color palettes for the
                          next model year of cars are women.

                          So, moral of the story, guys... Have your better half read the test results.
                          :)

                          -Lawrence
                          Manhattan, KS

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Tom Reagin <tgreagin@y...> wrote:
                            > recall reading a journal article that stated that
                            > women perceive more colors than men. I did not
                            > evaluate the reliability of the source.

                            I would take that "more colors" to mean that women on average can
                            better differentiate betweem two similiar but subtly different colors
                            than men. I hate that. :p

                            Stan

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
                              As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I added two small powerheads (600
                              liters per hour) to my tank to provide water movement (they are on the left
                              side of the tank, near the front). They are connected to the wavemaker that
                              I used to use on my reef tank, so that the water movement is not continuous.
                              The change in the behaviour of the fish is remarkable! While they were
                              active before, the are REALLY active now, especially the hatchetfish. The
                              water movement has the added advantage of keeping detritus from settling on
                              the plants. I am probably going to add two more powerheads of the same size
                              to the back of the tank.
                              On another note, two of the Chilodus I have appear to have paired off. The
                              third is not allowed to join them anymore. I've tried catching it, but
                              there's too many plants and too much driftwood. The pair are not bothering
                              it, so I am not worried. One of the pair (the presumed female) is getting
                              plump, so perhaps they will spawn. Several of the rummynose are also getting
                              plump. Ahhh...love is in the air...I mean..water.

                              Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
                              Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
                              The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
                            • Tom Reagin
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
                                I wonder if it is truely females see more colors, or
                                if men just don't care...red is red isn't it.

                                TomR

                                > I would take that "more colors" to mean that women
                                > on average can
                                > better differentiate betweem two similiar but subtly
                                > different colors
                                > than men. I hate that. :p

                                =====
                                Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                                104 Church Street
                                Decatur, GA 30030

                                Voice (404)378-3694
                                Fax (404)373-0741

                                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                              • Giancarlo Podio
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
                                  You mean every time my wife and I read a different value she's right?? I
                                  don't think I will let her know about this thread ;-)

                                  I'm fine with reading individual colored squares used in most test kits, but
                                  when it comes to reading those that use a gradual scale we never seem to
                                  agree on the color.

                                  Of great help was a large poster size color chart I received from Aquarium
                                  Pharmaceuticals, it has all the colors and scales of all their test kits. If
                                  you ever run into an AP sales rep make sure you ask for one (if you use AP
                                  test kits that is). He explained to me that the colored boxes on this chart
                                  are actually "painted" or similar process, I forget the term for it, to
                                  allow for exact color rendering, something that is not possible in printing
                                  processes...

                                  I slide one of my strip lights over so it overhangs on one side of the tank,
                                  I then place the test tube against the white background next to the color
                                  chart under this light to read the value. Works well for me, I know I have
                                  far less trouble reading the results now then I did when I first started
                                  using these test kits, so I guess I've also gotten used to reading them. I
                                  do however have great difficulty in reading my calcium test kit from La
                                  Motte, so much so that I'm considering buying a different brand even though
                                  I know it will be of inferior precision... at least I'll be able to read it
                                  :-)

                                  Giancarlo Podio, LMD

                                  > Color discrimination deficency affects males about
                                  > four times as often as females. Females have two
                                  > copies of the gene whereas males have one. It is
                                  > speculated that because of the duplication there is
                                  > opportunity for repair. There are degrees of color
                                  > vision deficency. They range from no color perception
                                  > to yellow-blue confusion to varying degrees of
                                  > red-green confusion (most common.) There are also non
                                  > genetic causes for loss of color discrimination. I
                                  > recall reading a journal article that stated that
                                  > women perceive more colors than men. I did not
                                  > evaluate the reliability of the source.
                                  >
                                  > TomR
                                  > --- radzewicz@... wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> I wonder if women have better inate color vision
                                  >> than men do? I know
                                  >> that color blindness only affects males but that's
                                  >> an all-or-nothing
                                  >> effect, not a difference by degrees.
                                  >>
                                  >> Stan
                                  >

                                  > =====
                                  > Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                                  > 104 Church Street
                                  > Decatur, GA 30030
                                  >
                                  > Voice (404)378-3694
                                  > Fax (404)373-0741

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  >

                                  > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
                                  > www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly
                                  > qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed
                                  > your expectations. Please visit their website at
                                  > www.highaspirationsinc.com.
                                  >
                                  > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Nimish Mathur
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005

                                    <You mean every time my wife and I read a different value she's right??>

                                    Rite, now the thread is really getting scary. My other half also never agrees on the readings that I take and for some reason it always coincided with the electronic meters. Now, I am going to be offline for a few days until this thread is over J

                                    Nim

                                  • radzewicz@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      i don't know, Tom, I've really been trying to read the difference
                                      between those shades of magenta in that nitrate test chart and the
                                      tube looks to me as if it could match any of them, so its not for
                                      lack of trying. Its not like I can't find my car in the morning but
                                      those charts differ only in shade and its tough nailing down the
                                      matching square.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
                                        agreed Stan, at least I am happy that i am not the only one with this problem.

                                        Ken
                                      • Richard Bunn
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
                                          Stan

                                          I think it is actually possible. I have a friend who is an optician & I'm
                                          sure I can remember him once saying that a mans colour blindness can vary,
                                          it's not all or nothing. I suffer from a slight problem in the red
                                          spectrum, I can't distinguish when things are a pinker shade of red or a
                                          slight orange shade of red or even true red. A real pain with the nitrate
                                          tests!!! but seeing as all red isn't good I just make sure it's orange or
                                          less.

                                          Regards
                                          Richard

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 3, 2005
                                            I find the nitrate the most difficult to determine, my
                                            wife might be a little bit better, but she wishes I
                                            would loose a few aquariums.

                                            TomR

                                            http://my.yahoo.com