Fishkeeper dies in aquarium accident

  • Richard Bunn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005

      Fishkeeper dies in aquarium accident

      A fishkeeper has died in his Manhattan apartment after cutting himself on the aquarium he knocked over.

      According to a report from the New York Times, the man, Antonio Perez, lost his balance and fell onto the aquarium, causing it to fall over and smash.

      An artery in Mr Perez's arm was severed and he later died at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center.
      More at: The New York Times (Sat January 1, 2005, 10:55 am)
    • d3dd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
        Oh my gosh

        I can sure understand how it could
        happen. Wow, thanks for the
        safety reminder.

        I still wear a small scar about an
        inch above my elbow - many years
        ago I carried an brand new 10 gallon
        tank in my arms. I did not feel
        the cut made by a razor sharp edge
        where two glass panes joined
        on a lower corner.

        Joanna, LMD Kansas US
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
          I can not get to the article without registering (which I do not want to
          do). IS there another way to see it?

          Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
          Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
          The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
        • Richard Bunn
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005

            Sorry, I've no idea.  I copied all of the text off the practical fishkeeping website.  It appeared in their news for the day.  So I can't go any further into it.  I didn't even bother trying the hyperlink.

            Regards
            Richard
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005

              This URL has a proposed solution for some sites, there
              is another one recommended by Bortz. I'm looking for
              it, but unsuccessful so far.

              http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html

              Yours

              Tom
              > I can not get to the article without registering
              > (which I do not want to
              > do).

              =====
              Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
              104 Church Street
              Decatur, GA 30030

              Voice (404)378-3694
              Fax (404)373-0741

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Tom Reagin
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                I found it.

                www.bugmenot.com

                Good luck

                Tom

                > I can not get to the article without registering
                > (which I do not want to
                > do).

                =====
                Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                104 Church Street
                Decatur, GA 30030

                Voice (404)378-3694
                Fax (404)373-0741

                http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
              • Patrick, The American Fish Guy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                      I am not sure if that is legal.  Sounds pretty SPAMish too me.  Not to mention the moral issues of using such programing to hack into the site when a 1 minute page of very little personal information can get you in with daily e-mails of the day's stories for free.  I don't like their paper, but I have to say their service is great. :)

                  Patrick N.
                  This URL has a proposed solution for some sites, there
                  is another one recommended by Bortz.  I'm looking for
                  it, but unsuccessful so far.

                  http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html

                  Yours

                  Tom
                  Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                    <<Not to mention the moral issues of using such programing to hack into the
                    site when a 1 minute page of very little personal information >>

                    I object to them asking my total income, and other information that has
                    nothing to do with my reading their newspaper. Picking a user name and
                    password is fine, but other info is not pertinent to their mission (which is
                    to provide news). Hence my not wanting to subscribe.

                  • radzewicz@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Oh, that's just esxcellent. I have been avoiding the NYT website
                      because of their intrusinve demands for personal registration. This
                      is a great way to protect my anonimity. thanks.

                      Stan

                    • radzewicz@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                        Logging in with a false name is not "hacking", by any streach of the
                        imagination. Its not illegal, its not even immoral.

                        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@o...>
                        wrote:
                        > <<Not to mention the moral issues of using such programing to hack
                        into the
                        > site when a 1 minute page of very little personal information >>
                        >
                        > I object to them asking my total income, and other information that
                        has
                        > nothing to do with my reading their newspaper. Picking a user name
                        and
                        > password is fine, but other info is not pertinent to their mission
                        (which is
                        > to provide news). Hence my not wanting to subscribe.
                        >
                        > Frank M. Greco (phrankg@o...)
                        > Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
                        > The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
                      • Debunix
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
                          The full text was not very long....but does add the important detail
                          that he was drinking when he fell into the tank. So don't get drunk
                          around your fish....

                          Cut on Fish Tank, Man Bleeds to Death

                          Published: January 1, 2005

                          A 47-year-old man bled to death in his Manhattan apartment early
                          yesterday after he knocked over a fish tank and cut his arm on the
                          broken glass, the police said.

                          According to the police, the man, Antonio Perez, was drinking with his
                          girlfriend and two friends about 1:30 a.m. at his apartment at 3150
                          Broadway in Washington Heights when he lost his balance and stumbled
                          into his fish tank. The tank, full of fish and water, fell and
                          shattered, and an artery in Mr. Perez's right arm was severed by broken
                          glass, said Officer Dennis Laffin, a police spokesman. "It's a
                          straight-up accident," Officer Laffin said.

                          Mr. Perez's friends called 911, and he was taken to St.
                          Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead, Officer
                          Laffin said.

                          Diane Brown in St. Louis
                          http://www.well.com/user/debunix/fish/fishIndex.html
                        • bob
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
                            Yea and don't get old.... I lost my balance and thought it was going to be a disaster....
                            I was lucky maybe I am not old enough..Oh well we all need to die someway...Bob
                          • Richard Bunn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
                              Oh darn, mine is in my hall right opposite the door. Must be careful when I
                              roll home drunk @ 4am in future!

                              Richard

                              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                            • Deenerz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
                                In a message dated 1/3/2005 4:37:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, richardmbunn@... writes:
                                Oh darn, mine is in my hall right opposite the door.  Must be careful when I
                                roll home drunk @ 4am in future!

                                Richard
                                Especially if it is acrylic.  You may have to saw your arm back and forth a lot more to make a cut.  ; )

                                Mike