pirahna bites woman

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
    • d3dd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
        Frank I found "Piranha leaps from water
        and bites hand of Repile Park employee"
        in Olso.
        Is this the one?
        Donna
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
          <<Frank I found "Piranha leaps from water and bites hand of Repile Park
          employee" in Olso. Is this the one? >>

          Yep, that is it. And people wonder why I don't hand-feed the pirahna at
          work!

          Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
          Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
          The Freshwater Crustacean Farm
        • marlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
            Having worked with many species of piranha, and having bred thousands of what are commonly referred to as "red belly piranhas", we think piranhas are much overrated as to their aggressive behavior.  Piranhas are relatively stupid, as fish go, and fearful of movement and usually only attack what they are used to eating.  If you could put piranhas with saltwater fish (which, of course you cannot), there are many species that would have piranhas for lunch, including triggerfish, which have sharp teeth and are lots smarter than piranhas.  We bred natteri (red belly) piranhas in a 460 gallon tank for years, where we kept a school of 20 some fish, all about 10 inches long.  We constantly put our arms into that tank while servicing and cleaning the internal equipment.. and never got bit.  I do have one piranha scar, however, as I was so unafraid of piranhas, that when a person brought an unknown species in for me to see, I stuck my hand into a pail attempting to turn the fish on it's side to diagnose the species, and he flipped, taking a small chunk out of my hand, which caused considerable bleeding, as piranhas do have sharp teeth in which they can remove a small piece of whatever they bite into.  Whenever I begin to get careless with some other fish, I am reminded that anything with sharp teeth can draw blood, but piranhas are particularly undeserving of their nasty reputation.  If you want to research a real ugly small fish of the Amazon, look up what the 4 inch Candiru catfish does to people that are careless in waters they inhabit.
            Al
            Black Lagoon Fisheries

            "Frank M. Greco" <phrankg@...> wrote:
            <<Frank I found "Piranha leaps from water and bites hand of Repile Park
            employee" in Olso. Is this the one? >>

            Yep, that is it. And people wonder why I don't hand-feed the pirahna at
            work!

            Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
            Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
            The Freshwater Crustacean Farm

            Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Deenerz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
              In a message dated 12/4/2004 8:31:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, marlin48067@... writes:
              If you want to research a real ugly small fish of the Amazon, look up what the 4 inch Candiru catfish does to people that are careless in waters they inhabit.
              Al
              Black Lagoon Fisheries
              Al,
              Thanks for the nightmare  : )
              Mike
            • harry perry
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                What a lovely little fish. Would like to see it on endangered species list.

                Harry

                Deenerz@... wrote:
                In a message dated 12/4/2004 8:31:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, marlin48067@... writes:
                If you want to research a real ugly small fish of the Amazon, look up what the 4 inch Candiru catfish does to people that are careless in waters they inhabit.
                Al
                Black Lagoon Fisheries
                Al,
                Thanks for the nightmare  : )
                Mike

                Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • marlin
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                  Harry,
                     You won't see Candiru on the Endangered Species list any time soon.  The Administration just took the spotted owl, which is highly endangered, off the list, changing its status to "threatened", even though its numbers are steadily headed to extinction.  The reason?... to help their buddies in the logging business cut down forests that the owl inhabits.  As point of capitalistic fact, not many really endangered species are making the listings these days, even though much of the world's wildlife is really endangered.  As far as the Candiru is concerned, if you are that concerned about this little guy, they can be bred in captivity, but I doubt you will find any of us in the Species Maintenance groups for rare fishes wanting to participate in the study.
                  Al
                  Black Lagoon Fisheries

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                    <<If you want to research a real ugly small fish of the Amazon, look up what
                    the 4 inch Candiru catfish does to people that are careless in waters they
                    inhabit.>>

                    Actually, this is more hype than anything else. Just finished reading a book
                    called "Candiru", and the author states that many of the Candiru "attacks"
                    as more fiction than fact. When they tried to track down the alleged victims
                    of these attacks, they were no where to be found. Other stories were passed
                    down from a friend who knew a guy who's sister's husband's uncle knew of
                    someone it happened to. This is not to say that these fish never enter body
                    openings, it is not as common as one would be led to believe.

                    BTW, the blue Cetopsis the you sometimes see in shops is related to the
                    Candiru.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                      << We constantly put our arms into that tank while servicing and cleaning
                      the internal equipment.. and never got bit.>>

                      Same here. However, our pirahna are used to eating anything that falls into
                      the tank. So they have no problem trying to go after my fingers if I'm
                      working on the floating plants. They associate anything that hits the
                      surface with food. That's how one co-worker got nipped. And they become
                      particularly aggressive during breeding time, and really go after anything
                      that hits the water. However, putting an arm into the tank scares them. Go
                      figure.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                        Aren't there 2 speices of Cetopsis on
                        Aquabid right now? Under Catfish/
                        Joanna. LMD
                      • G. A. Christian Bilou
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                          One of my LFSes actually got three candiru in...I hesitated and missed out on them. I have some pics on my comp of a surgical procedure removing a candiru from a male patient...makes me glad that I listened to my guides when I was in SA.

                          G. A. Christian Bilou
                          President, Calgary Aquarium Society
                        • marlin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 6, 2004
                            Hi Frank,
                              Your website was interesting.  When we breed piranhas, we control their cycle simply by temperature, raising it when we wanted a spawn.  The rest of the time we kept them at a constant of just 74F.  The lower temperature made them conmsiderably more passive, althought this isn't the smartest fish that swims, and thus are always what we consider as skiddish.  Our fish just ate goldfish, so they were attracted to no other stimulation.
                               As for personal experience and literature on Candiru catfish, we have several references to their parasitic nature, but none that I'd swear as scientifically authentic.  One well documented volume is the book by Ricciuti called "Killers of the Seas".  It tells of several known scientists and doctors experience dealing with the candiru.  Several years ago, our facility was sent about 20 of candiru, and we attempted to breed them for some time but were unsuccessful.  Sometimes it is difficult to simulate exact conditions in substrate spawners.  Dangers in the sea are often overrated.  We've dove with sharks all over the globe while collecting other species for scientific or aquarium stock.  None of us ever had to use a shark point defensively.  There are a few creatures that are still small but deadly amongst marine life, including the blue-ringed octopus, the stone fish and innocent looking Sea Wasp of the Indo-Pacific.  As everyone here are divers, who also collect marine specimens, we try to stay current as to what can do us in when we are underwater in particular areas of the globe.  It will be our luck to one day, in celebrating the fact that none of us have been seriously injured handling marine life, to get done in by some ill prepared Fugu.  We dive a great deal with large barracuda following close-by as they are smart, curious fish.  While we've never had any issues with them, understanding their curious nature, eating large barracuda for dinner can sometimes be a lot more dangerous than swimming with them as they often contain that ugly reef poisoning ciguatera.
                               Lastly, in keeping with the mystique of endless shapes and habits of fish, my own daughter who grew up amongst the hundreds of weird species our company studied, always kept a special little aquarium in her bedroom for close friends.  It contained her plump little catfish that she would trick her friends into petting, telling them that it definitely would not bite, and had the strangest feeling soft sides.  What she failed to tell them was that her little pet was an electric catfish, not really dangerous, but packing quite a surprise for any of her friends curious enough to pet the fish.
                               In keeping with the long tradition of our company, while we dedicate ourselves these days to breeding some of the rarest and most unusual of fish in our facility, we still work to maintain our reputation, this week constructing a larger environment (14 feet) for our facility mascots, three reasonably large American Alligators, who like their noses scratched when you hand them their fish dinners.
                            Al
                            Black Lagoon Fisheries

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                            The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!
                          • harry perry

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 7, 2004
                                    One of the great things about America is that we can disagree with one another and still be friends.  However, when it comes to the environment, those disagreements are a recipe for extinction of species.   The spotted owl vs. logging is just one example.  That same arguement in Brazil favoring logging has now critically endangered many species of primates, iamongst countless other creatures, including the spectacular golden lion marmoset which now has a range of less than 500 acres and will soon be extinct in nature.
                                    In today's world, where just making ends meet, often makes us insensitive to the responsibilities of humans as keepers of the earth, when it comes to money vs. preserving the earth's living treasures for future generations.  Amphibians in this country, often referred to as the barometers of the environment, because of their sensitivity to poisons and pollutants we humans carelessly dump into the environment, are disappearing at an alarming rate.  Like the canaries of the coal mines, they tell us that we are destroying the environment, and, at the same time, destroying our own future. When I was a kid, there were leopard frogs and pickerel frogs everywhere, now they are confined to small pockets well away from the industrial wastes populations of humans dump into the environment.  This year, the administration "relaxed" both the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, to allow industrial polluters to dump even more poisons into the environment.  Coal burning power plants can now each dump into the air 25 tons of mercury.. one of the worst neurotoxins.. terribly dangerous to humans and wildlife alike, even though technology exists to remove over 90% of those toxins from industrial discharges.  In turn, we have no choice but to ingest mercury poisonings through just breathing and eating.
                                    I've spent over 35 years working with rare and endangered species and in that time, it is scary and horrific what we've done to the to the wildlife we share the earth with.  As more and more animals become critically endangered, my own company has been forced to focus on a small segment of nature, endangered fish.  In the past 10 years alone, hundreds of wonderful species that were once plentiful are not extinct in nature.  We are active participants in various species maintenance programs, especially with fish, and it is an uphill battle.  I don't understand where priorities lie when we are rapidly getting to the point where many of the animals I took for granted as a child are now only visible in books of natural history.
                                    Forget ancient history and just focus on the last 200 years inwhich we humans have killed off everything from the spectacular Stellar's Sea Cow to most of the species from previously great places, like Lake Victoria in Africa.  The Administration recently suggested the United States throw out the Endangered Species Act and end our participation in the international CITES Treaty, suggesting that third world countries may gain financial input to their poor economies by allowing hunters, trappers and sellers of critically endangered wildlife to trade in those species.  The Administration, in explaining their logic, suggested that such changes might encourage those poor countries to preserve their most critically endangered species because they would provide needed foreign monies into their economies.  That logic was like saying that the best way to preserve the snow leopard was to make a coat out of them, or the best way to preserve the last 300 lowland gorillas is to make ashtrays out of their hands and feet.
                                   It is no wonder why the Sierra Club, the Audubon Society, The Nature Conservancy and other serious environmental groups are devoting all their efforts into trying to educate humans as to the destruction our current path is taking us.
                                   So, in regard to the spotted owl, screw those greedy logging companies.  Unless we get the mentality of those "tree huggers" we too often make fun of, we will be left with a barren wasteland where the biggest thing we accomplish is to greatly increase the rate of environmental cancers we have wished upon ourselves through our complacency.
                                    My company, The Black Lagoon, has marveled at the great living treasures of the earth since the early 70's.  Currently, amongst the 100 or so rare tropical fish we breed, there are many that can never be re-introduced back into the environment because there is no environment left for them where they previously flourished.  We have prided ourselves working with species maintenance programs, while, at the same time, providing serious hobbiests with wonderful fish they never see in their local pet shops.  A very small victory against the will of industry to make a profit regardless of the consequence.
                                    After seeing the results of our carelessness with nature every day for many years, this is one person proud to refer to himself as a serious "tree hugger".   If the rest of us don't wake up soon, keeping exotic fish will be reduced to nothing close to what could have been......

                                Deenerz@... wrote:
[...]

                              • wild child
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 7, 2004
                                  We should never lose sight of the message because we do not like the messanger.

                                  Pat

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 8, 2004
                                      << When we breed piranhas, we control their cycle simply by temperature,
                                      raising it when we wanted a spawn. The rest of the time we kept them at a
                                      constant of just 74F. >>

                                      Exactly what we do, although more by accident than design. We use air temp
                                      to control tank temp, so if the air temp gets about 85dF, the fish spawn..
                                      Of course, we don't want them to breed as we have no place for all the young
                                      (seems that we have three pair), and they tend to beat up on the
                                      non-breeding fish.