RE: [UniQuaria] new to club and need advice.

  • Nimish Mathur
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004

      Patrick,

      I am a gadget freak myself and I wont say that you are wrong J. Even I have had very nicely planted tank with less then 1wpg of light and no CO2. The plants that I grew were Amazon swords, Valliseneria, Limnophilla aquatica, Hygrophylla polysperma, hygro difformis, floating ricciza fluitans, anubias, java moss and ferns, red tiger lotus, echinodorous rose, and a couple more I cant recall.

      Nim

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Rickey, are you reading the posts
        now from our members who have
        nice aquatic plants without CO2?
        The plants that Nim listed in his post
        would be some you could try in your
        tank. There are sturdy aquarium
        plants that do not need C02 and
        3 watts per gallon of light.

        And, the next time you are in a
        Petco or WalMart - look for the
        packages of plant bulbs they sell.
        Many of us are secret addicts of
        these instant plants - just add
        water and light and fish and
        watch an Aponogetum or a Lily
        grow before your eyes! These
        bulbs grow plants more for show.
        These bubl plants often loose
        leaves again for a dormant rest
        period - but, oh the thrill of
        watching the baby leaves start
        sprouting! Some of mine now
        have flower stalks waving above the
        water surface, too.

        Back to serious stuff - plants that
        don't need bright light can ofter
        be good beginner's plants. Since
        you are already a gardener (as I am)
        you will have lots of fun - maybe
        more than with fish - gardening
        underwater.

        My local stores don't usually have
        good plants. Right now I am
        buying a few plants from Aquabid.com.
        Our Moderator, Wilma, also sells
        fine plants. I don't recomment
        buying any plants by mail until
        after the Holiday mailing frenzy, though.

        Joanna, LMD Kansas US
        --- In UniQuaria@yahoo