Messy pleco

  • Dorothy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      A few months ago I was convinced to add a pleco to my tank. He seems to be
      growing like crazy and is now at least 7 inches long and very messy. This
      is in a 55 gallon tank. I really don't have time to clean up after him all
      the time, but vacuum about once a week when I do water changes. Is this OK?
      My nitrates are usually somewhat on the high side (20-40 range), but it
      doesn't seem to affect the fish.

      I imagine that he would poop less if he was fed less, but I don't want to
      starve him, either. He ate all my algae so I give him algae tablets. When
      I first got him, he would hide, but now he does not seem to care about
      doing that. He grabs a tablet and sits there munching away, then goes and
      hangs out on the side or in the back behind the plants. I have to put in
      several tablets in different places so my cories get some, too.

      How many algae tablets are enough, for a 7" pleco (nose to tail)? How big
      is he likely to get?

      Thanks,

      Dorothy
    • AuntieFran@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        Oh, Dorothy...sounds as though you have what is frequently called the "common pleco" and they can get my idea of HUGE! PlanetCatfish.com says 10" to 12", but I've heard people talking about them being as big as 16"! Do you know anyone who would offer him a new home? I have Bristlenose Plecos - they max out at about 5" and are great little housekeepers. Maybe your LFS would swap you.

        --
        Growing old is inevitable;
        growing up is optional.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          At 03:30 AM 10/5/2004 +0000, AuntieFran@... wrote:
          >Oh, Dorothy...sounds as though you have what is frequently called the
          >"common pleco" and they can get my idea of HUGE! PlanetCatfish.com says
          >10" to 12", but I've heard people talking about them being as big as
          >16"! Do you know anyone who would offer him a new home? I have
          >Bristlenose Plecos - they max out at about 5" and are great little
          >housekeepers. Maybe your LFS would swap you.
          >
          >--
          >Growing old is inevitable;
          >growing up is optional.

          Yes, that is probably what he is. I don't know if they would take him back
          or not, they seemed so happy to let him go. I think they realized his
          growth potential, because they kind of pushed the larger of two onto us
          even though we asked for the smaller one. They said, "Oh, for such a big
          tank as you have, you really need the larger one" and my son said, "sure,
          Mom, I want the bigger one." But he seems to be growing so fast! I sure
          don't need a 16" fish! He's already king size compared with our other fish.
          He can take a whole algae tablet and munch it, just looking at me.

          This wasn't an aquarium store, just our local pet store. They probably
          wouldn't have a Bristlenose, but I could ask. They DID have a teeny little
          clown loach hiding in the chimney of a ceramic castle that my son thought
          was cute, but I knew that they get big and wouldn't really want to be alone.

          Dorothy