Re: UV sterilizer questions

  • rchevere13
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <gpodio@u...>
      wrote:
      > Ruben, my opinion is that UV sterilizers are a nice "luxury" to
      have
      > but certainly not necessary, nor would I spend that kind of money
      for
      > green water problems. Turning your lights off for a couple days
      will
      > solve it with a lot less money and checking water parameters will
      > likely give us a hint of what may be causing this. Sometimes it's
      > simply too much light or too long a light period, too much PO4 or
      > iron can also cause this...

      Indeed. This has been a particularly persistent problem, though. I
      suspect high PO4 is the root. I don't really want to deal with
      PO4-removal media 9I'm not familiar with it, either). My alternative,
      FAR cheaper, but more patience-intensive plan is to grow pothos plants
      in the sump. Worked perfectly last time -- it just takes a while for
      them to get established and to starve out the algae. :)

      .Ruben
    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        Or do more water changes if the source of PO4 is not your tap water.

        Giancarlo Podio, LMD

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "rchevere13" <rchevere13@y...>