i hate ick

  • hiphopdjdecal
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
      ive had my green scat and mono argentus for a little over a week
      now. my green scat came with ick when i bought it but i liked the
      fish so much i decided to just treat it. ive been using maracide by
      mardel (on-spot treatment that treats the fish and not the water)and
      i turned up the water temp to about 84-85 F. i actually see more
      white spots on him now. the mono has developed some ick too and his
      left eye is a little cloudy. i havent seen any improvments the past
      couple days. why wont this annoying ick come off? all of them still
      eat fine and swim normal.
    • Matt Steis
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        I don't know what the Maracide is supposed to do. A commercial remedy like
        Rid-Ich+ will cure Ich. You need to treat the water instead of the fish.
        The parasite will get into the fish's gills where you cannot see it anyway.
        Any remedy that I know of only kills the parasite after it falls off the
        fish to mutate. Raising your temperature to 85° will speed up the ich life
        cycle and kill your fish faster. The cloudy eye maybe a bacterial infection
        that needs treated with antibiotics.

        Matt
        .
        > ive had my green scat and mono argentus for a little over a week
        > now. my green scat came with ick when i bought it but i liked the
        > fish so much i decided to just treat it. ive been using maracide by
        > mardel (on-spot treatment that treats the fish and not the water)and
        > i turned up the water temp to about 84-85 F. i actually see more
        > white spots on him now. the mono has developed some ick too and his
        > left eye is a little cloudy. i havent seen any improvments the past
        > couple days. why wont this annoying ick come off? all of them still
        > eat fine and swim normal.

        ---
      • phrankg@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          Your best bet here is to increase the salinity to 3 ppt (or one heaping tablespon of salt per gallon of water). This should knock the parasite out. As to "treat the fish, not the water", that's advertising hype. Even if you add a med to the water, you are treating the fish. Their slogan is just advertising hype.