Re: Fish Photography

  • Diane Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
      I'd try a little less unsharp mask--some of the edges are a little
      glittery.

      But keep having fun with the pictures. I just took my first fish pics
      with the new flash last weekend--getting very nice stuff--now just need
      to clean MY tanks so they're worth shooting!

      Diane Brown in St. Louis
    • or_geoff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi Diane,

        Thanks for your comments about the photos I posted links to.

        When I was preparing the photos for posting (cropping, USM) I had
        the same impressions as you about the seemingly too aggressive
        application of USM. So, I carefully compared my USM'ed images with
        the originals and they amount of sharpening was really quite
        minimal. The only image for which I think things got out of hand was
        the picture of the Amano Shrimp - I'll have to redo that one. I
        think it was my flash that was causing features in the image
        to "glisten" more than they would appear to had I not been using the
        flash. I really need to get an outboard flash unit so I can add
        light from an angle rather than head-on.

        I too should have cleaned my tank before I took the pictures. You
        can see in the photos the dots of algae on the glass :-(

        Thanks,
        Geoff Shapiro