Re: [UniQuaria] Re: My First Non-UGF Tank & Some Questions

  • Julie Haddy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
      At 12:46 AM 6/30/04, you wrote:
      > The best rule is first plant the tank well with fast growing, high O2
      > producing plants.

      What are good ones? I mostly used what I have like java moss & java fern a
      few things that I was able to pick up locally.

      Julie Haddy
    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
        Having some fast growing plants in the tank will certainly help
        consume eccess nutrients and also raise oxygen levels. They are not a
        must but they do help. Here's a couple of the more common fast
        growers for a low light tank:

        Fast growth rate:
        Limnophila Aquatica (Ambulia)
        Hygrophila difformis (Wisteria)
        Hygrophila polysperma (Green and Sunset Hygro)
        Ceratopteris thalictroides (Watersprite)
        Ceratophyllum demersum (Hornwart)
        Frog bit (a floating plant)
        Hydrocotyle leucocephala
        Zosterella dubia

        Medium growth rate:
        Sagittaria subulata (Dwarf Sag)
        Ludwigia mullertii
        Ludwigia repens
        Limnophila aromatica

        You can see pictures of some of these plants on last year's Raffle
        page: http://www.gpodio.com/aqua/raffle/

        Hope that helps
        Giancarlo Podio, LMD

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Julie Haddy <pawslover@c...> wrote:
        > At 12:46 AM 6/30/04, you wrote:
        > > The best rule is first plant the tank well with fast growing,
        high O2
        > > producing plants.
        >
        > What are good ones? I mostly used what I have like java moss &
        java fern a
        > few things that I was able to pick up locally.
        >
        > Julie Haddy
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          Congrats on not having an UGF!!!!! I'm Soo proud....I Hate them..but thta's just my
          opinion. As said before, 1" per gallon is not a great rule. You filter has a BIG part to play
          in this, as well as plants (previously discussed). With a canister filter, you're going to be
          able to put in a lot more fish than one of those power filters that just uses a floss pad. In
          my experience, if you use one of the cheaper filters such as the floss pad power filter, you
          should keep your tank minimally stocked. Aquaclear has a pretty good biological system
          to take care of a medium fish load, and a canister would let you "overstock" the tank.
          Again, this is just my opinion. I've always just added my fish slowly. A couple here, a
          couple there. If they get aggressive with each other, they don't ahve enough room to have
          their own area. if the water conditions start getting bad, don't add any more. watch the
          water. If it continues, take a couple fish back to the store (Or Start a new tank!) One trick i
          do for UGF-less tanks if bury air stones under the gravel every here and there and run
          bubbles up through the stone. this just helps gasses and other junk from being held
          down there (this is my own theory, So i'm not sure if it's true) And keep going with the
          plants! they provide such much happiness for the fish AND improve your water at the sam
          time!
          Best,
          Kevin

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Julie Haddy <pawslover@c...> wrote:
          > At 12:46 AM 6/30/04, you wrote:
          > > The best rule is first plant the tank well with fast growing, high O2
          > > producing plants.
          >
          > What are good ones? I mostly used what I have like java moss & java fern a
          > few things that I was able to pick up locally.
          >
          > Julie Haddy
        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                Power filters can be as good as cannisters.  You can put all kinds of extra stuff like gravel or porous rocks in mesh bags, sponges, etc. into the filter and it will greatly increase the bio-filter.

            Patrick N.

            Click the link below to learn about the cycle.
            About my tank:  29 gallon tank.  I have 5 glolights, 2 neons and 3 black neons, 3 skirt tetras, 2 home-raised mollies, 1 home raised guppy, 3 ottos, 2 albino and 3 juli cories, 1 pleco, one female betta, and 1 paradise gourami.  I do not recommend this setup for new or inexperienced fish keepers!
          • whit pea
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004