Re: help!

  • Les Newsom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      firstly thank you all for your advice,

      in answer to some of your questions (ill try and remember them all)

      the fish are very small, the tetras have grown to what i think is
      about full size for them. the catfish are about 2inches long now.

      the pleco was very small no bigger than the catfish, the tigers not
      much longer than the tetras.

      not all the fish are dying, the tetras and catfish have not suffered
      any casualties at all, except for the one tetra that died on the
      first day.

      been doing small water changes every day. i put the water in a
      bucket with the conditioner and leave it for a while before adding

      the pleco i think is a common one (its got a head like a frog)

      didn't know about the tigers and plecos being messy!thanks

      cleaned all the bits in the tank, now leaving it as it is for a bit,
      changing about 10% of the water daily. all the tetras and the
      catfish are far more lively than they were after i introduced the
      new fish.

      how many fish would you introduce at a time?

      thanks again

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Nimish Mathur" <nimmat4@y...>
      > Les,
      > Firstly, 12 neon tetras and 5 tiger barbs in that tank is just on
      the limit
      > of stocking level. Moreover, there could have been a sudden change
      of load
      > of fish waste and the bacteria or the filter could not cope with
      it. Keeping
      > in mind that barbs and plecos are all very messy or have a higher
      > rate as compared to neon tetras. You will have to add fish slowly
      > then in just 2 stocks. This will keep things much more stable.
      > Also, common plecos will reach a size much larger then what your
      tank can
      > accommodate. So do check as to which pleco you are getting.
      > www.planetcatfish.com is a good place to check this out.
      > Another thing, do you add water to the tank first and then add the
      > conditioner to it? In a new tank this can cause a disaster as the
      > in the water will almost instantly kill the beneficial bacteria
      and by the
      > time the water conditioner starts to act, it could be too late.
      Either add