Re: [UniQuaria] Re: I've created a monster!!!!!/wrong name?

  • harry perry
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      It is typically a pond plant. It floats on top, very small leaves with hairy strands hanging down only a 1/4" overall. All my tanks are low light and with the use of co2 and Flourish excel. Everything "runs wild".

      joanna <d3dd@...> wrote:
      Isn't it a high light plant?    How
      many watts on the tanks?    Any other
      plants running wild?    Is the penny
      wort leggy with small leaves far
      apart?

      Joanna, LMd
      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@y...> wrote:
      > Some how I started penny wort in my tanks. It is probably one of the many reasons why there is absolutely no algae in my 3 tanks. But it grows so thick and so fast it blocks out the light. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it? Thanks

      > Harry

      Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • harry perry
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2004
        It's alive!!! it's alive!!!! Its duck weed not pennywort.

        Turtle <bostonturtle@...> wrote:
        did harry say that he had created a frankie plant

        Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Nimish Mathur
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2004

          Hi Harry,

          I have successfully eradicated duckweed from my tanks with little patience and daily work for a week. Just take a large fine fish net and surface skim the entire surface of the tank 10-15 times every day for a week. Remove any visible duckweed you can see and it will be almost gone in 2-3 days but will have a tendency to return.. hence carry on with it for another 3-4 days. You will lose a lot of surface floaters along with it as well (riccia) but its un-avoidable. Once gone, carry on with checking for another week if you see any visible, if you do, start filtering again. I had duckweed in 3 of my tanks and now I have in none.

          Nim

          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2004
            turtle is correct, harry, you have the
            dreaded Frankenplant!!
            Duckweed. Net it as Nim suggested
            and mail it (across the country would
            be the safest bet) to someone who
            needs it to feed Goldfish :-)

            I am infected with the Green
            Moster plants as well. In my
            wild Kribensis tank, (20 long,
            Duetto filter, low light)
            it was driven out by
            another floating plant- Salvinia. I experimented by repeatedly netting
            as much Duckweed as I could
            to see if the Salvnina could spread
            quickly enough to choke out the Duckweed. It finally did. Took
            2 years :-) I had to pick out
            the Salvinia from the netsful of
            Duckweed,

            I've decided Duckweed is the better
            nutrient sponge. I like it floating
            on my outdoor tubs. When I do
            water changes on these I flip the
            Duckweed onto the flower beds as
            a green manure. Shoot, I
            probably could bag it and sell it
            at the Farmer's Market as an
            exotic green composting amendment.

            I had a very odd die off of Naja
            g and Duckweed in January. The
            well established tanks was thick with
            floating Najas with Duckweed growing
            slowly enough that I could skim most
            off with my fingers. The tank was
            home to Het. formosa and another tiny
            wild livebearers - and 2 female
            Neolamp multifasciatus. This tank
            had been thriving for 2 years.
            I added a male and females Neolamp
            mulit right before I left on Christmas
            vacation.

            By mid-January most of the plants
            were dying, including the Duckweed.
            The fish disappeared (except the
            Neo. lamps who were breeding)

            The plant die off was so spectacular
            that I wondered if Neolamp mulit
            might give off some kind of plant
            killing chemical. I have kept
            bredding colonies of multis with
            plants in the past but I did
            wonder....

            Old Timers were said to refuse
            to take plants from aquariums, or
            even homes, where Duckweed grew.

            Joanna, LMD

            It is
            -- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@y...> wrote:
            > It's alive!!! it's alive!!!! Its duck weed not pennywort.
            >
            > Turtle <bostonturtle@j...> wrote:did harry say that he had created a frankie plant

          • Rymel
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2004
              everybody talks about duckweed as the frankenweed...but mine never grew
              out, and in fact died down to a few leaves....i got them by accident
              with my mondo grass so i'm trying to find a place to get some again as
              i'm starting to culture daphnia and scuds (could really use some advice
              ^_^;). does anyone here sell duckweed or just wanna get rid of some?

            • harry perry
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2004
                I hadn't bought plants for months around this investation but what I did do was to visit the pond section of my LFS. I moved his duckweed aside with my hands to view the inhabintants of a pond. That's all it took to bring it home. In small patches it kind of looks neat but it grows soo fast and soo thick it soon blocks out the light. I wonder if I put a couple of Goldfish in my tanks if that would help?.

              • Betty Goetz
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2004
                  I net off 90% of my duckweed cover weekly and take a lot of it home
                  for my goldfish ponds. They eat it avidly. I also share my excess
                  duckweed with co-workers who also have goldfish or koi ponds. We just
                  started putting a couple buckets out in the hallway (with large
                  windows for light), and that's where the extra hornwort, water sprite,
                  duckweed and other fast-growing extra plants go....and we label them
                  'free aquarium plants'. Hopefully, it'll disappear....otherwise, it'll
                  go in the compost bin/worm boxes outside. I can't imagine having to
                  deal with tanks that had CO2 injection( shrug).

                  Betty Goetz
                  near Seattle, WA