Re: Fish for my 40 gal

  • tbittick
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      I added six small tigers barbs to my community that included 8 Black Phantom
      Tetras, a three rainbows sharks, two clown loaches (on since deceased), and
      2 pictus cats.

      The barbs brought the tank to life. I had heard that in schools or shoals
      they would stick together and that has been the experience so far. They have
      not bothered any of the other fish and sure are a ton of fun to watch.

    • Diane Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        Would you like a school of smaller, active, busy fish or a few larger
        fish?

        Are you interested in having fish breed or just hang out?

        I think stocking lightly with some smaller fish and some slow-growing
        plants under moderate lighting would make for a beautiful, easy care
        tank. Just free-associating here....how about a modest school of some
        smaller rainbowfish (gorgeous, I think relatively low maintenance) or a
        group of congo tetras (ditto), and a group of some neat little cories
        for contrast and some busy activity on the bottom of the tank, some
        nice driftwood and rocks, and a bunch of anubias, java ferns, and maybe
        a few ramshorn snails or some amano shrimp to help with algae control.
        And while you might get some interesting spawning behavior, you
        wouldn't be up to your ears in fry like with livebearers or cichlids,
        nor would they be continually uprooting or shredding your plants.

        A half dozen of each kind of fish, lots of plants, and moderate to low
        lighting for the low-light plants (under 2 watts per gallon), would
        make for a gorgeous low maintenance tank.

        Just my 2 cents. And thanks for the excuse to do some pleasant
        daydreaming.

        Diane Brown in St. Louis
      • Niranjan Umashanker
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          thanks a lot. Ill keep this stuff in mind. I guess the possibilities are still practically unlimited.
          niranjan