RE: [UniQuaria] New Guy w/Questions

  • Nimish Mathur
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004

      Edward,

      If you still have a UGF functioning, then it can take care of your biological filtration part easily. Unless however it is chocked. Need more information from your end as to how many fish are in there. What all filters are currently running. What water conditioner you use. Did you do a check for Nitrates as well? It could be possible that something slowed or re-started the cycle after 3 months or it could also be that your test kit is knackered.

      Do a 50% water change with a dechlorinator/water conditioner pre added to the water and stop feeding for 2-3 days. Add some salt to the water, at 1tsp per 5 gallons of water. and always use dechlorinated water for your tank and if you use andy no-spill fill products like Python, I suggest you to switch off your filter when refilling the tank and switch them on only when you have properly added the water conditioner.

      Let us know more about the details. Thee are many new gadgets, but since they are gadgets, they are not an essential part. The traditional system also still works J

      Nim

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Maybe the ammonia test isn't working properly because of the ammo
        chips??

        Tilly, Wales

        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Nimish Mathur" <nimmat4@y...>
        wrote:
        > Edward,

        My Ph is about 7.6
        > and I do partial water changes every week of about 20% or so. I'm
        also
        > using ammo chips in my filter system I have now, which is just a
        normal
        > filter that rests on the side of the tank. My fish don't SHOW
        signs of
        > stress and are feeding normally (once per day). Any suggestions at
        all
        > would be greatly appreciated.
      • Edward Sola
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          Nim here's my setup a little better for ya:

          FISH: 7 Bala Sharks
                   7 Tiger Barbs
                   2 Opaline Gourami
                   2 Pangasius Catfish
                   1 Pictus Catfish
                   1 Syndontis Eupterus

          FILTERS:  1 Tetra Whisper Model 3  http://tetra-fish.com/aquarium/index.html
                          2 40 gal Penguin Power Heads
                          2 40 gal UGF

          Like I said I've been looking at the Fluval 440 system I found pretty cheap, under $100.00 and get rid of the UGF and Whisper filter.  The petshop mgr gave me some sodium bicarbonate that I'm not sure about.  I want to find out more about it before I add it to my tank.  She said this stuff will diffently get rid of my ammonia problem.  She said it was pretty serious stuff.  However I did find a store online that you can get it really cheap.  Any suggestions on that?

          Thank you again for your help!

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004

            Edward,

            That is a lot of load for a 40 gallon. Bala sharks and Pangasius catfish will grow fast and very big. And I am not sure how effective a Whisper filter would be as I have never seen them in the UK , but you have a UGF that should take care of everything.

            Firstly, I suggest you to do a 50% water change and try to make the water acidic (PH 6.5) all fish you have will be fine with it.

            Second, stop the feeding for a day or 2. this will lessen the load of ammonia on biological activity

            Third, if possible, ask your fish store to keep your bala sharks with them for a few days. This will decrease the fish load and help in faster cycling. You can bring them back when things have stabilized.

            Fourth, vacuum the gravel of any excess muck to allow the water to free flow through them. Don’t rid your UGF now. It will form the main part of your biological filtration once established. If you decide to get rid of it now, you may have to restart the cycle again from scratch which will further stress the fish.

            You have I think already got an answer on Sodium bicarbonate. It will not help your problem and can escalate it further.

            I think by tomorrow or day after your ammonia should start to come down, but this may give rise to nitrites, add some salt to the water, 1tsp per 10 gallons since you have some catfish as well.. not sure how well can pictus take the salt. Pangasius and syno can. Salt helps to reduce toxic effects of Nitrites during a peak.

            Keep testing every day for all 3. and do a water change only when things are off the scale. Be sure to add water conditioner to the water before you add the water to the tank. It is a much safer method during cycling. And keep us updated.

            Nim