Re: 90 gallon construction update- Uniqueaquaria

  • Nimish
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
      Just finishing up with the rock work, will post the pics as soon as
      it is ready with some difference from the previous setup..

      had a tiring weekend :( but hopefully will be fruitfull

      Nim

      > Look forward to seeing the new pictures!!!
      >
      > Sayer
    • Giancarlo Podio
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
        Nim,

        I'm curious as to how you plan on supporting the glass top over the tank? I would discourage using anything that is resting in the tank itself as any weight, vibration or shock to the table top would be transferred to the bottom glass of the tank and possibly cause some problems...  I've seen this happen in the past and it's no fun to clean up :-) Are you supporting it with an exterior frame or using the side glass panels for support?

        Giancarlo Podio, LMD
        Just finishing up with the rock work, will post the pics as soon as
        it is ready with some difference from the previous setup..

        had a tiring weekend :( but hopefully will be fruitfull

        Nim

        > Look forward to seeing the new pictures!!!
        >
        > Sayer

        Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

      • Nimish
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hi Giancarlo,

          I will be supporting the thing partially on the glass tray braces and
          vertical bogwood pieces (selected ones that will be able to hold the
          weight and shock), cut and smootheded on both ends, supported by
          rocks on the bottom to prevent toppeling. the rocks will be siliconed
          to the bogwood to give extra stability..

          though the side wooden frame will rest on the glass trays, the glass
          trays will be siliconed to the bogwood for additional support.

          i estimate atleast 7-8 pieces of bogwood in the process.. i mentioned
          in a few other previous post i think... or may have forgotton :)

          i will not stress the side walls of the the tank in any way..

          Thanks for reminding me on this :)

          Nimish

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Podio" <gpodio@u...>
          wrote:
          > Nim,
          >
          > I'm curious as to how you plan on supporting the glass top over the
          tank? I would discourage using anything that is resting in the tank
          itself as any weight, vibration or shock to the table top would be
          transferred to the bottom glass of the tank and possibly cause some
          problems... I've seen this happen in the past and it's no fun to
          clean up :-) Are you supporting it with an exterior frame or using
          the side glass panels for support?

          > Giancarlo Podio, LMD
          Uniqueaquaria

          > Just finishing up with the rock work, will post the pics as soon
          as
          > it is ready with some difference from the previous setup..
          >
          > had a tiring weekend :( but hopefully will be fruitfull
          >
          > Nim
          >

          > > Look forward to seeing the new pictures!!!
          > >
          > > Sayer
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >

          > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
          www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This
          highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your
          website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at
          www.highaspirationsinc.com.

          > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a
          message to:

          Service.
        • Giancarlo Podio
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
            In that case make sure you are supporting the entire bottom glass. The side walls can usually hold much more vertical weight than the bottom of the tank, specially if it's not evenly distributed.

            Giancarlo Podio, LMD

            wrote:
            > Nim,
            >
            > I'm curious as to how you plan on supporting the glass top over the
            tank? I would discourage using anything that is resting in the tank
            itself as any weight, vibration or shock to the table top would be
            transferred to the bottom glass of the tank and possibly cause some
            problems...  I've seen this happen in the past and it's no fun to
            clean up :-) Are you supporting it with an exterior frame or using
            the side glass panels for support?

            > Giancarlo Podio, LMD

            Service.

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2003
              yepp.. while designing the cabinet i did realise that i have to
              support the bottom of the tank much more stabally then normal
              cabinets.

              the bottom of the cabinet is made up of 5"x2" planned wood. used 4
              such pieces horizontally (broad end supporting giving the cabinet a
              height of 2") 4 such woods are supporting the bottom of the tank
              lengthwise. the are topped with a 1" MDF chipboard leaving a gap of
              only 3" between the woord.. it was enough to support a 200 pound man
              (myself) jumping on it. when i got tired of jumping and testing the
              strength of the base, only then i put the tank on it.

              the base can take much more then the walls here, but my point of
              having bogwood on the 4 corners is just to support the glass tray
              braces. the weight of the top glass will be devided on the wooden
              frame on the top.. moreover i am having the top glass in 4 pieces
              rather then 1 entire piece so as to allow easy access to the tank,
              distribute weight evenly, get a good support from the middle of the
              tank as well (filter and rock work and a bog plant) - this part is
              still under deciding process. will decide on it once i get the
              lighting sorted out.. maybe will have the top in 2 pieces. rubber
              lining on all contacts with aquarium so there are no shocks to the
              tank.

              Thanks,
              Nimish
              ps: i can go on and on and on for this thing as i have spend days and
              nights thinking about "possibilities" its gotten so worse that i even
              dream of doing carpenter work now :)

              wrote:
              > In that case make sure you are supporting the entire bottom glass.
              The side walls can usually hold much more vertical weight than the
              bottom of the tank, specially if it's not evenly distributed.

              > Giancarlo Podio, LMD

              Service.