Re: [UniQuaria] Removing Nitrate and Ammonia?

  • Lois Pandya
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      Brian,
      The best way to reduce the ammonia and nitrates in a cycled tank is
      frequent and REGULAR water changes. 20-30% water changes a week are
      what I do. If the ammonia and nitrates are really high, I would do the
      partial water changes every other day until they are in a normal
      range--0 for the ammonia and 20 or so for the nitrates. Any chemical
      you add to the water is actually a poison and should only be used as a
      last resort. There is nothing like clean water for fish health. Clean
      and change filter and filter media on days that you don't do a partial
      water change so as not to disturb the bacterial colony. By the way,
      water changes are a lot cheaper too.
      Best wishes.
      Lois,LMD
      Ohio,USA

      > I was wondering which products can be used efficiently to remove
      excess nitrate and ammonia in the water. I used to use a product called
      Nitra-Zorb or something like that... Thanks!