Re: [UniQuaria] Geneticly modified fish

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      <<I think that GM fish will probably be the future of fish keeping. >>

      Moon, the only thing I can say is that I hope you are wrong on this point.
      There are plenty of species out there that can easily be kept. Our hobby has
      touched only a few of them. In fact, many of the fishes available 40 years
      ago are not seen in the hobby an longer (thank the breeders is Asia and
      Florida who have produced I don't know how many types of platies and
      swordtails far removed from the original fish, and monsters like parrot
      cichlids). Perhaps it's time to bring them back before we go playing around
      with GM fish.

      Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
      Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
      The Freshwater Shrimp Farm
    • Willlow65@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        In a message dated 7/1/2003 7:10:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, phrankg@... writes:

        and monsters like parrot
        cichlids

        I love them, they are so sweet and cute.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          phrankg@... writes:

          > and monsters like parrot
          > cichlids

          Willow65 says:

          <<I love them, they are so sweet and cute.>>

          Be that as it may, with all the real species out there, was there ever a
          need to cross fishes that would not normally interact with each other? What
          benefit to the species, or the hobby, is there by doing this? None that I
          can see.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            In a message dated 7/2/2003 10:13:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, phrankg@... writes:

            Be that as it may, with all the real species out there, was there ever a
            need to cross fishes that would not normally interact with each other? NO

            What

            benefit to the species, or the hobby,  is there by doing this? None that I
            can see.
            Since they were created anyway it's up to people to take care of man's mistakes and it's not the fish's fault he was created that way.  They are not going to be set out in the wild..at least I hope not, so I don't think there is much harm if we keep them in aquariums. with tender loving care. LOL  Were these fish created by artificial insemination?  Dying them colors makes me sick.
            Lisa