Knock Knock

  • Giancarlo Podio
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
      Has anyone directly seen any negative effects on a fish from someone
      banging on the glass too hard? If so what permanent/long-term effect
      did it have on the fish?

      Regards
      Giancarlo Podio
    • Larry Alexander
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
        Since water can not be compressed (or at least not
        very much) knocking on the glass of an occupied
        aquarium is like knocking directly on the fish
        themselves. It's harmful to them.

        It's a hanging offense in my residence!

        Larry G. Alexander
        Tyler, Texas - USA

        At 08:47 PM 06/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Has anyone directly seen any negative effects on a fish from someone
        >banging on the glass too hard? If so what permanent/long-term effect
        >did it have on the fish?
        >
        >Regards
        >Giancarlo Podio
      • Norman Randolph
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
          If memory serves me, water ceases to compress at a velocity of ~40 mph.
          Knocks approach and can exceed that speed.

          Norm
          SATX USA

          >From: Larry Alexander <lonestar1@...>
          >To: UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [UniQuaria] Knock Knock
          >Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:29:25 -0500
          >
          >Since water can not be compressed (or at least not
          >very much) knocking on the glass of an occupied
          >aquarium is like knocking directly on the fish
          >themselves. It's harmful to them.
          >
          >It's a hanging offense in my residence!
          >
          >Larry G. Alexander
          >Tyler, Texas - USA
          >

          >At 08:47 PM 06/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Has anyone directly seen any negative effects on a fish from someone
          > >banging on the glass too hard? If so what permanent/long-term effect
          > >did it have on the fish?
          > >
          > >Regards
          > >Giancarlo Podio

        • Giancarlo Podio
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
            Harmful in what way? I'm curious to find out what the actual effects
            are on the fish? Does it effect the swim bladder in any way? Could it
            effect their sense of orientation or balance? Brain damage??

            Thanks
            Giancarlo Podio

            --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Larry Alexander <lonestar1@c...>
            wrote:
            > Since water can not be compressed (or at least not
            > very much) knocking on the glass of an occupied
            > aquarium is like knocking directly on the fish
            > themselves. It's harmful to them.
            >
            > It's a hanging offense in my residence!
            >
            > Larry G. Alexander
            > Tyler, Texas - USA
            >

            > At 08:47 PM 06/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Has anyone directly seen any negative effects on a fish from
            someone
            > >banging on the glass too hard? If so what permanent/long-term
            effect
            > >did it have on the fish?
            > >
            > >Regards
            > >Giancarlo Podio
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
              This is a timely topic for me right now. I just set up a tank at the local
              nature center (more on that in another post) and already, there have been
              reports of "heavy glass tapping" by a few young visitors. We are going to
              have to put up a little sign discouraging the practice and then hope that
              the request is obeyed. Being a public facility, intentional hanging is not
              an option. :-( <g>

              - Jan

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                How about accidental hanging? ;)

                You might end up wanting to use achrylic or similar to protect the
                tank if the problem gets too bad. I'm also considering doing
                something similar using achrylic and placing it about half an inch
                away from the front glass. Have you had any problems with the fish
                themselves or just reports about knocking without any visible signs
                of the fish being harmed?

                Giancarlo Podio

                --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <jango@c...> wrote:
                > This is a timely topic for me right now. I just set up a tank at
                the local
                > nature center (more on that in another post) and already, there
                have been
                > reports of "heavy glass tapping" by a few young visitors. We are
                going to
                > have to put up a little sign discouraging the practice and then
                hope that
                > the request is obeyed. Being a public facility, intentional
                hanging is not
                > an option. :-( <g>
                >
                > - Jan

              • wild child
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                  I am not a scientist ...nor learned in any animal physiology.....however...

                  i would think that knocking on the glass for fish....would be comparable to
                  us holding our hand closely over our ear and then tapping against
                  it....(just tried it folks.....doesn't feel too good :)

                  again....nothing to go on other than just thinkin about it in my head.....i
                  might be waaay off base on this ;)

                  pat

                  >From: "Jan" <jango@...>
                  >To: <UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: Re: [UniQuaria] Knock Knock
                  >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:11:00 -0400
                  >
                  >This is a timely topic for me right now. I just set up a tank at the local
                  >nature center (more on that in another post) and already, there have been
                  >reports of "heavy glass tapping" by a few young visitors. We are going to
                  >have to put up a little sign discouraging the practice and then hope that
                  >the request is obeyed. Being a public facility, intentional hanging is not
                  >an option. :-( <g>
                  >
                  >- Jan

                • jdpro
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                    I also am interested. The man at the store where I purchased some fish
                    often would be less than careful when closing the tank covers and cabinet
                    doors. We observed the fish 'jolting' every time the thing banged down. I
                    would like to know if this causes permanent damage rather than just the
                    obvious immediate stress. Somehow, it seems that it causes stress but not
                    permanent damage. A study should be done on this.

                    > This is a timely topic for me right now. I just set up a tank at the
                    local
                    > nature center (more on that in another post) and already, there have been
                    > reports of "heavy glass tapping" by a few young visitors. We are going to
                    > have to put up a little sign discouraging the practice and then hope that
                    > the request is obeyed. Being a public facility, intentional hanging is
                    not
                    > an option. :-( <g>
                    >
                    > - Jan

                    www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly
                    qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed
                    your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

                    > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:

                  • Larry Alexander
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                      It's probably analogous to someone smashing you
                      in the head with their fist. The water transmits a
                      shock wave to the fish which may be most unpleasant.
                      We will obviously never know what, if anything, they
                      actually feel.

                      'nuf said.

                      Larry

                      At 03:53 PM 07/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Harmful in what way? I'm curious to find out what the actual effects
                      >are on the fish? Does it effect the swim bladder in any way? Could it
                      >effect their sense of orientation or balance? Brain damage??
                      >
                      >Thanks
                      >Giancarlo Podio
                      >

                      >--- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, Larry Alexander <lonestar1@c...>
                      >wrote:
                      > > Since water can not be compressed (or at least not
                      > > very much) knocking on the glass of an occupied
                      > > aquarium is like knocking directly on the fish
                      > > themselves. It's harmful to them.
                      > >
                      > > It's a hanging offense in my residence!
                      > >
                      > > Larry G. Alexander
                      > > Tyler, Texas - USA
                    • Giancarlo Podio
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                        I don't think you're way off base, I think it IS harmful, I just
                        don't understand what organs would be effected. I don't think fish
                        have ear drums so they should be less sensitive than we are under
                        water. Does it cause permanent damage or temporary stress?

                        Some may remember my breakdancing cardinal, well now I have a
                        breakdancing black molly and the only thing that I can think of that
                        occured was the day before a little kid wacked the glass with his
                        open hand, that's why I'm curious to find out if it's possible that
                        it could have been caused by the knock. If only my tank had wheels I
                        would have a solution other than strangling my nephew ;)

                        Thanks
                        Giancarlo Podio

                        --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "wild child" <libby_jazz1961a@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > I am not a scientist ...nor learned in any animal
                        physiology.....however...

                        > i would think that knocking on the glass for fish....would be
                        comparable to
                        > us holding our hand closely over our ear and then tapping against
                        > it....(just tried it folks.....doesn't feel too good :)
                        >
                        > again....nothing to go on other than just thinkin about it in my
                        head.....i
                        > might be waaay off base on this ;)
                        >
                        > pat
                        >

                        > >From: "Jan" <jango@c...>
                        > >To: <UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com>
                        > >Subject: Re: [UniQuaria] Knock Knock
                        > >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:11:00 -0400
                        > >
                        > >This is a timely topic for me right now. I just set up a tank at
                        the local
                        > >nature center (more on that in another post) and already, there
                        have been
                        > >reports of "heavy glass tapping" by a few young visitors. We are
                        going to
                        > >have to put up a little sign discouraging the practice and then
                        hope that
                        > >the request is obeyed. Being a public facility, intentional
                        hanging is not
                        > >an option. :-( <g>
                        > >
                        > >- Jan

                      • Jan