Zebra danios

  • Peggy Magyar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 1999
      Zebra danios are indeed egg scatterers. they are peaceful if kept in a group. a single zebra can pester other fish, if he has none of his own kind to play with.

      I have kept and bred zebras often. I have never noticed any "pair bond" in the fish, but I always had groups of eight to ten at least in the tank. they breed in a group, too. If you have three or four "ripe" females that have been well fed and conditioned with live foods and are plump and full of eggs, you can put them into a fairly shallow, long tank, the bottom of which is covered with marbles or heavily planted with something shirt- java moss maybe? I've always used a layer of marbles.

      the next morning, introduce a few more males than females, and watch the spawning begin!! remove all the adults when spawning is over, and get ready to hatch some brine shrimp.
      Peggy Magyar
      LMD
      Canaan, CT 06018