GUYS! I really need answers here.

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
      I won't repost my whole "new cories" e-mail, but I have the following
      questions and no one is answering them! Don't let me down now!

      --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <paws_plus@h...> wrote:

      > (1) One of the panda cory babies hides a LOT. The other 4 school
      > around together happily, but this one hides away from the others.
      > Sometimes he comes out, and he doesn't look different. But it
      > bothers me that he's either anti-social or not feeling good or
      > totally stressed out. They have plants, a fake 1/2 log, and some
      > rockwork to hide in, so it's not like he can't get away.
      >
      > (2) I checked the pH of both tanks this a.m. The 55 gal is at
      > 7.0, which is fine for the goldfish, and the 10 gal is at 6.0.
      > Apparently, cories like more acidic water, so 6.0 is good, but what
      > I'm curious about is why the big difference? I haven't done
      > anything differently. The 10 gal has the old filter from the 55,
      > and I did a 50% water change in the 55 the same day I set up the
      > 10. I just don't get the difference.
      >
      > (3) Since the pH of the 2 tanks should be pretty different, should
      > I get those "pH up" and "pH down" thingies to add to the water? To
      > make sure they are correct?

      And a NEW question:

      They are eating (i.e., I put food down there and eventually it's
      gone), but they aren't ravenously hungry like the goldfish and
      loaches. Should I be concerned about this? Am I feeding too much?
      I would like to see them run to their food b/c then I could tell if
      He Who Hides Away is eating or not . . .
      THANK YOU!

      Elizabeth and the Fish Family
    • Jason Heyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:37 AM, Elizabeth wrote:

        > > (1)  One of the panda cory babies hides a LOT. The other 4 school
        > > around together happily, but this one hides away from the others.
        > > Sometimes he comes out, and he doesn't look different.  But it
        > > bothers me that he's either anti-social or not feeling good or
        > > totally stressed out.  They have plants, a fake 1/2 log, and some
        > > rockwork to hide in, so it's not like he can't get away.

        If he's looking, acting, eating normally then chances are he's just the
        low man on the totem poll. Could just have a more submissive
        'personality' than the others. I've got two clown loaches out of eight
        who behave similarly, while the other six are as active as can be.
        They've always been that way and, although smaller than the others,
        they seem every bit as healthy.

        Just keep an eye on him/her and make sure he doesn't show any signs of
        illness, etc.

        > > (2)  I checked the pH of both tanks this a.m.  The 55 gal is at
        > > 7.0, which is fine for the goldfish, and the 10 gal is at 6.0.
        > > Apparently, cories like more acidic water, so 6.0 is good, but what
        > > I'm curious about is why the big difference?  I haven't done
        > > anything differently.  The 10 gal has the old filter from the 55,
        > > and I did a 50% water change in the 55 the same day I set up the
        > > 10.  I just don't get the difference.

        your pH will tend to drop more and faster in a smaller tank because
        organic waste and the acidic by-products of the nitrification process
        will build up faster in a smaller volume of water. more acids = lower
        pH.

        > > (3)  Since the pH of the 2 tanks should be pretty different, should
        > > I get those "pH up" and "pH down" thingies to add to the water?  To
        > > make sure they are correct?

        you could try increasing the buffering capacity of the water in the
        smaller tank. a natural way to do that is to add baking soda, which
        will increase kH and raise pH a bit. you can also look at adding
        something like Wardley's Bulls Eye 6.5 or 7.0, which i've found to work
        very well (though i don't really use it any longer, and it's a bit
        pricey).

        i'd see about doing more / more frequent water changes in the 10. see
        what the pH starts at and how quickly it drops to 6.0. my guess is
        that it's more a water quality issue due to bio-load vs. filter
        capacity / water capacity.

        > They are eating (i.e., I put food down there and eventually it's
        > gone), but they aren't ravenously hungry like the goldfish and
        > loaches.  Should I be concerned about this?  Am I feeding too much?
        > I would like to see them run to their food b/c then I could tell if
        > He Who Hides Away is eating or not . . .

        try feeding smaller amounts more often. i feed my fish three or more
        times a day, but they typically consume everything i feed them in two
        minutes or less.

        jh.
      • Giancarlo Podio
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
          I'll give it ago,

          --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <paws_plus@h...> wrote:
          > I won't repost my whole "new cories" e-mail, but I have the
          following
          > questions and no one is answering them! Don't let me down now!
          >
          > --- In UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <paws_plus@h...>
          wrote:

          > > (1) One of the panda cory babies hides a LOT. The other 4 school
          > > around together happily, but this one hides away from the others.
          > > Sometimes he comes out, and he doesn't look different. But it
          > > bothers me that he's either anti-social or not feeling good or
          > > totally stressed out. They have plants, a fake 1/2 log, and some
          > > rockwork to hide in, so it's not like he can't get away.

          He might be stressed, most new fish will be shy for a while and a lot
          won't attack food the way the other fish do that know you better. If
          you don't see any signs of illness or injury give him some time.
          Cories are sensitive to salt so you probably don't want to use any.

          > > (2) I checked the pH of both tanks this a.m. The 55 gal is at
          > > 7.0, which is fine for the goldfish, and the 10 gal is at 6.0.
          > > Apparently, cories like more acidic water, so 6.0 is good, but
          what
          > > I'm curious about is why the big difference? I haven't done
          > > anything differently. The 10 gal has the old filter from the 55,
          > > and I did a 50% water change in the 55 the same day I set up the
          > > 10. I just don't get the difference.

          It might be worth while testing your tap water to see which of the
          two tanks is experiencing a large change in water chemistry. Is the
          KH the same in both tanks? PH6.0 is rather low, some things that can
          effect PH:

          - Gas exchange via surface agitation or air pump (CO2 contents)
          - Any object that alters your KH, rocks containing calcium, etc
          - Some products/conditioners can give you incorrect readings with
          certain test kits
          - Low KH (buffering capability) can cause PH swings

          Let us know what your KH is in both tanks including your tap water.

          > > (3) Since the pH of the 2 tanks should be pretty different,
          should
          > > I get those "pH up" and "pH down" thingies to add to the water?
          > > make sure they are correct?

          IMO I don't think there is a "correct PH". Most fish today are bred
          in similar conditions, altering PH and temperature can be used for
          triggering spawnings etc but not really necessary to keep the fish
          healthy (at least most fish anyway). I've kept cories successfully in
          tanks with PH ranging from 6.4 to 7.4 without problems. I think it is
          more important to find out what is making the water parameters change
          so much and possibly to remove the cause. A steady PH is better than
          one that fluctuates at every water change. Using PH buffers to
          constantly keep a different level of PH than what your tap water
          gives you will only complicate your life, unless your tap water is
          that bad it is easier to not have to alter it constantly. A low KH
          (<3)will also allow your PH to swing up and down depending on
          dissolved CO2 in the water, if this is the cause then you can easily
          fix it by adding a teaspoon of baking soda or so to every 20 gallons
          of water you change or whatever gives you a KH around 3-6 (higher is
          ok, lower than 3 can be risky).

          > And a NEW question:
          >
          > They are eating (i.e., I put food down there and eventually it's
          > gone), but they aren't ravenously hungry like the goldfish and
          > loaches. Should I be concerned about this? Am I feeding too
          much?
          > I would like to see them run to their food b/c then I could tell if
          > He Who Hides Away is eating or not . . .

          When I feed my fish, my cories start swimming around the bottom
          searching pebble by pebble until they come accross some food, they
          don't really jump at the food like most of the other fish. Once they
          find a wafer they do hang around the area but they definetly do not
          dive on the food like "starved" fishies (like my fat greedy loaches
          do!). Do make sure you leave them sufficient food though, I'm
          guessing you're using sinking wafers or other form of sinking food
          for bottom feeders. You can also drop half a wafer after lights out,
          or try to aim some food towards the hiding cory. BTW remember that
          the more hiding spots they have the more they will feel at ease and
          eventually come out in the open, this is valid for all fish.

          Hope that helps,
          Giancarlo Podio