Re: Petco targeted by City of San Francisco for abysmal conditions

  • Moontanman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
      UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:34:44 -0000
      > From: "Auri <dunnmountain@...>" <dunnmountain@...>
      > Subject: Re: Petco targeted by City of San Francisco for abysmal conditions
      >
      > Now how about Wal-Mart?? The Petco here is actually half decent, but
      > this seems to be an exception to most I've seen around the bay Area
      > and even in WA. Kind of sad but I think Petco would be better off
      > not selling live animals at all.

      In my area, Wilmington, NC, we used to have several nice privately owned
      petshops but all but one are gone. The one that is left, Tropical Paradise,
      concentrates mainly on saltwater fish. They do a really great job and have
      the best marine fish I have seen in NC at least. Tropical paradise is almost
      as much fun to browse in as a public aquarium because of all the beautiful
      marine set ups they have. We also have two Pets+ and a Pets Smart. All of
      them do an average to good job and at least from my observations make an
      effort to hire and keep knowledgeable sales people. The main critique I have
      for the Chain stores around here is lack of selection in fish. Their care of
      small animals is really great and Pets+ always have a good selection of
      reptiles. I mostly buy freshwater fish from Pets+, due to their friendly
      atmosphere and willingness to order odd fish that I want. All of the local
      stores are a little pricey and that drives me to buy some stuff from mail
      order. But anything I want to buy and want help later on with the product I
      make sure I buy locally. Since I breed fish it's also important to me that
      Pets+ will buy some of my captive bred fish and I almost always spend the
      money from my fish back at Pets+. It's important to find a petshop that has
      people that you can relate to and work with. The best way to keep bad
      petshops in check is to not buy from them and tell your friends not to buy
      from them. Of course that may not work well in a really big venue where there
      are always new people to take advantage of. One day I would like to have my
      own fish store but I know it would be difficult to compete with chain stores
      and the Internet. As for Walmart, I really don't think of them as a petstore
      and due to lack of any real pet sales staff it's difficult to rate them at
      all.

      Moon