update on snakeheads!

  • Wanda
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      well, Illinois has stepped up to the plate! They have released an
      emergency ban on snakeheads. We will no longer be able to possess,
      propagate, buy, sell, barter, trade, transport or loan them! The law
      will take effect in 30 days
      So now that I am crying!! We are cleaning tanks!! We have very much
      enjoyed them. We could hide them probably. But we stepped out on a
      limb and tried to get a permit through the Dept of Natural resources
      of Illinois. There answer: You could try for a permit. However if
      you got lucky enough to get one, you could not sell them. They also
      told us that the national Fish and Wildlife would be adding the
      snakehead to the list on the lacey act, which would cover transport
      accross state lines.
      Just info for all who were trying to keep up with it!
      Wanda and Ken
    • Stanley Tan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hey there,

        I've read a couple of articles about this saga in my local paper all
        the way in Singapore..

        I hear you and feel for you, all you snakehead fans out there. Spent
        some time rearing them myself, and I really enjoyed every bit of it.
        You know what I mean.

        The feel I get from the articles is that there's a lot of mis-
        information about snakeheads going around where you're at, and of
        course they're laced with a healthy dose of exaggeration.. :P Still,
        I'm sure the authorities have well- founded reasons for doing what
        they're doing, and they believe it's for the best.

        Just wondering, and do forgive me if this has been covered already,
        but hasn't anyone stepped up to offer some expert consultation on
        the matter to the local authorities there? I still feel education is
        the best defense, and offense, whichever. There could be a more
        amicable way around the problem if the authorities had more
        knowledge about what they're dealing with?

        just my 2 cents,
        Stanley
        Singapore

        --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Wanda" <wandanewby@e...> wrote:
        > well, Illinois has stepped up to the plate! They have released an
        > emergency ban on snakeheads. We will no longer be able to
        possess,
        > propagate, buy, sell, barter, trade, transport or loan them! The
        law
        > will take effect in 30 days
        > So now that I am crying!! We are cleaning tanks!! We have very
        much
        > enjoyed them. We could hide them probably. But we stepped out on
        > limb and tried to get a permit through the Dept of Natural
        resources
        > of Illinois. There answer: You could try for a permit. However
        if
        > you got lucky enough to get one, you could not sell them. They
        also
        > told us that the national Fish and Wildlife would be adding the
        > snakehead to the list on the lacey act, which would cover
        transport
        > accross state lines.
        > Just info for all who were trying to keep up with it!
        > Wanda and Ken
      • tuvix72
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
          I tend to agree with you, snakeheads are not the only animal sold at
          pet stores which should not be released in the wild. Like all blown
          out of proportion matters the results are sometimes out of proportion
          themselves. And to think that just the other day we received a flyer
          informing us that someone is trying to make breast-feeding in public
          illegal! I think education is definitely the best cure. There are
          plants out there that if introduced into certain habitats can cause
          far more environmental damage than a snakehead but we're still
          allowed to flush them down the toilet :)

          Giancarlo

        • Wanda
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
            Thank you for your support. I spoke with an official. They do know
            and understand the snakheads. They do have some "experts" that are
            helping. The problem on our end is the media. They feed out only
            what they want. This person (Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources)
            told me that he himself spoke with the media and then when it went to
            print some information was not told. So then the public sees this
            and that justs fuels the fires. They other problem is getting a
            permit. If you get one you can't sell the fry. So you have to
            explain how you are to dispose of the fry and also why you feel you
            need to keep these fish if they are illegal. To get a scientific
            permit you have to be a university, college or research institute.
            So, basically every door we tried to open to keep the fish, was
            closed. There fear is not the hobbiest like ourselves who understand
            what they can and will do. It is that new hobbiest that receives
            these fish and keeps them for awhile, then decides he does not want
            them and so he dumps them into the waters.
            Een though this upsets us, we do understand why. The sad part is
            that we are losing what we feel are great fish for hobbiest!!!
            THANSK!!
            Wanda and Ken