red gills

  • Wilma Duncan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
      I also have the white mickey mouse platys  and their gills are red colored. No problems with them. Unless the fish appear sick, I would guess normal coloration.
      Wilma
    • guinny_the_great
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
        Okay, I checked and there is a big fat ZERO for the ammonia level.
        Too tired and too busy to check nitrites, but the fish, even the
        angels, look fine. I do have an internal parasite in my tank that I
        am working on...but the fish that are unaffected by the parasites
        seem fine. I think I just never really noticed the red gills
        before...all the ones I can see it on have light colored heads. I've
        had them for about 2 months now, so I don't think it is from the pet
        store. Thanks for the input, but now I also know what red gills may
        be a sign of in the future :0) Kelly