Risky Maintenance???

  • dembrun
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2002
      I've got a huge piece of driftwood in my 29 gal and it's blocking a
      lot of light from reaching the bottom of my tank. I have plans this
      Saturday to transfer some of my fish to a 10 gal filled with water
      from the 29.... I want to take enough water out of the 29 to

      A) make a decent water change b/c the water is very cloudy
      and
      B) take the driftwood out, cut it down a bit and then put the wood
      back in the tank

      Do you folks have any suggestions, warnings for my "surgery" this
      weekend, or should my simple common fish sense be enough to get the
      job done?? Thanks.

      Joey
    • tishykb
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2002
        --- In UniQuaria@y..., "dembrun" <dembrun@y...> wrote:
        > I've got a huge piece of driftwood in my 29 gal and it's blocking a
        > lot of light from reaching the bottom of my tank. I have plans
        this
        > Saturday to transfer some of my fish to a 10 gal filled with water
        > from the 29.... I want to take enough water out of the 29 to
        >
        > A) make a decent water change b/c the water is very cloudy
        > and
        > B) take the driftwood out, cut it down a bit and then put the wood
        > back in the tank
        >

        > Do you folks have any suggestions, warnings for my "surgery" this
        > weekend, or should my simple common fish sense be enough to get the
        > job done?? Thanks.
        >
        > Joey

        Bump??
      • Lokrin 2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
          How about adding another light source outside the tank, like a floorlamp that has swivel spotlights or something? Place it either to the side or back of the tank.

          Recently I've seen light sets that can be put INSIDE a tank. Some are laser, others are coloured, one looked like a lighthouse with rotating mirror. I think these are more for accent lighting than overall lighting, but they might help to brighten certain dark spots. Not that you want the whole tank completely lit. Some fish like a certain "booth in the back, in the corner, in the dark!"

          --- In UniQuaria@y..., "dembrun" <dembrun@y...> wrote:
          > I've got a huge piece of driftwood in my 29 gal and it's blocking a
          > lot of light from reaching the bottom of my tank. I have plans
          this
          > Saturday to transfer some of my fish to a 10 gal filled with water
          > from the 29.... I want to take enough water out of the 29 to
          >
          > A) make a decent water change b/c the water is very cloudy
          > and
          > B) take the driftwood out, cut it down a bit and then put the wood
          > back in the tank
          >

          > Do you folks have any suggestions, warnings for my "surgery" this
          > weekend, or should my simple common fish sense be enough to get the
          > job done?? Thanks.
          >
          > Joey

          ---
          Outgoing male (sic) is certified Virus Free.