Re: [UniQuaria] plant life

  • Tom Bates
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hello;

      First of all, what kind of plants are you trying to grow. The amount of
      light plants need is dependant on the plant itself. Some will do well on 1
      watt per gallon while others like upwards of 3 - 4 WPG.

      Next thing to mention, what you *may* be experiencing is a process called
      melting. What is happening here is when a plant is newly planted, the root
      system is not yet developed or established. All the growth energy the plant
      creates goes into root formation and development. During this time, the
      above substrate portion of the plant will appear to be dying off. What is
      needed now is patience. If you just wait this out, the root system will
      become developed fully enough to allow the above substrate plant to begin to
      regrow.

      Another contributing factor to melting is when plants are started, they are
      grown emerged (basically hydroponically). When they are then submerged, the
      plant undergoes a change by shedding its emergent leaves and growing new
      ones that will handle the submerged state. Again, patience is a virtue here.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA USA
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
      http://www.UniQuaria.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
        Besides what Tom mentioned about melting, i would have to guess you
        have too low light for the plants you are trying to grow. but good
        news! There are plants that thrice in low light. they are slower
        growing of course but can be beautiful none the less. Try growing
        Java Fern and Java Moss, the fern should be tied with string or
        rubber banded to a rock or driftwood instead of buried in your
        substrate. just let the moss float about the tank until it finds a
        home for itself, which is will. Other good low light plants are
        Bolbitis heudelotii, which also should not be burried in the
        substrate, anubias berteri (pretty much any of the Anubias family do
        well in low light) Cyrptocoryne wendtii, and water sprite. They are
        also pretty good plants for beginners as well. You can look at most
        of these plants on azgardens.com and find info on them at
        aquaplant.com

        --- In UniQuaria@y..., "drafterman1" <drafter_man@h...> wrote:
        > I have a 29 gallon tank with a freshwater coral life bulb, I have a
        > few plants, but have not been able to get them to live for very
        long
        > in the past, I have a pretty good culture in my gravel, I've heard
        > few people that you need a lot or high wattage light to make plants
        > survive well, but I was wondering if anybody else had any
        suggestions.
      • drafterman1
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
          thanks for the advice, I can't really remember all the names of the
          plants I have, But I know one of them is anacharis, I'm hoping it
          will provide a good habitat for my livebearers, the rest of the
          plants are large leafed green plants, I'll try to see if I can find
          the names of the rest of them, as for my light, I have a ligth bulb
          that's marked "fr20 t12 180 deg BP", I'm assuming this means that
          its a 20 watt bulb. Is this enough light or do I need to get a new
          one, seems like it wouldn't be enough if my 29 gal tank requires 3
          watts per gallon.

          Sean
        • Tom Bates
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
            Sean;

            Unfortunately, all fluorescent lights that will fit into your light housing
            are 20 watt models. This is the standard wattage for 24" fixtures. There are
            higher wattage 24" tubes (High Output and Very High Output) but you would
            need to replace the ballast to drive these high wattage tubes.

            If you want to upgrade your lighting, the best option is Compact
            Fluorescents. There are kits available to retrofit your current hood to
            accept CF's. Look at the kits at www.ahsupply.com . Their 2 x 36 watt would
            do nicely over your 29 gallon (choose the 17.5" reflector package).

            Tom Bates - Senior LMD
            Allentown, PA USA
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
            http://www.UniQuaria.com

            > thanks for the advice, I can't really remember all the names of the
            > plants I have, But I know one of them is anacharis, I'm hoping it
            > will provide a good habitat for my livebearers, the rest of the
            > plants are large leafed green plants, I'll try to see if I can find
            > the names of the rest of them, as for my light, I have a ligth bulb
            > that's marked "fr20 t12 180 deg BP", I'm assuming this means that
            > its a 20 watt bulb. Is this enough light or do I need to get a new
            > one, seems like it wouldn't be enough if my 29 gal tank requires 3
            > watts per gallon.
            >

            > Sean
          • Earle Goodman
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2002
              Tom,

              This is the second time I have seen you make this recommendation recently,
              and I wanted to ask a few additional questions. I have a 29 gallon tank as
              well and have been looking at increasing the lighting...

              Why would you recommend the 36 watt Bulbs instead of the 55 watt?

              This solution would cost about $100 (after adding bulbs...), plus you have to
              build or retrofit the housing. This would give you a total 72 watts.

              From Big Al's (http://www.bigalsonline.com) you can get a 55 watt light strip
              (Allglass) for $70. Or you can get a 65 watt light strip (Custom SeaLife)
              for $90-$100.

              Granted they aren't quite as much light, but there is only a 10% difference.
              Is there a particular reason why you recommend A H Supply solution?

              Thanks,

              George

              BTW, if anyone knows of a aquariast group specific to the San Francisco Bay
              Area please let me know off list. I found
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFBayArea/
              but it only has one user and one message...

              --- Tom Bates <fish2r@...> wrote:
              > Sean;
              >
              > Unfortunately, all fluorescent lights that will fit into your light housing
              > are 20 watt models. This is the standard wattage for 24" fixtures. There
              > are
              > higher wattage 24" tubes (High Output and Very High Output) but you would
              > need to replace the ballast to drive these high wattage tubes.
              >
              > If you want to upgrade your lighting, the best option is Compact
              > Fluorescents. There are kits available to retrofit your current hood to
              > accept CF's. Look at the kits at www.ahsupply.com . Their 2 x 36 watt would
              > do nicely over your 29 gallon (choose the 17.5" reflector package).
              >
              > Tom Bates - Senior LMD
              > Allentown, PA USA
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
              > http://www.UniQuaria.com

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • Ellen O'Connell
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2002
                >This solution would cost about $100 (after adding bulbs...), plus you have to
                >build or retrofit the housing. This would give you a total 72 watts.

                Just thought I'd pipe in here -- compact flourescents really are brighter
                than regular. Saw the figure of 160% on APD and I bet that's right. 72
                watts of CF light would be a LOT of light on a 29 gallon.

                Ellen O'Connell
                Parker, CO
                mailto:oconnel4@...
                http://www.rottrescue.com/
              • Tom Bates
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2002
                  George;

                  The 36 watt model was recommended because of the available reflector size
                  included in that kit. The aquarium in question originally had 24" tubes
                  installed in the hood so trying to put a longer reflector into this 24"
                  enclosure would not work.

                  The 2 x 55 model has two 22" reflectors. These very well may not fit inside
                  a single tube enclosure but the 2 x 36 has the option of one 17.5" reflector
                  that will fit in this enclosure.

                  What I should have added was to ask AH Supply for their recommendations as
                  to what will fit the hood you currently have. AH Supply has an excellent
                  customer service staff and will steer you in the right direction and walk
                  you through the retrofit process.

                  For a 29 gallon tank, any extra wattage would be appreciated due to the
                  extra depth of this size tank. The 10% you speak of will help penetrate the
                  depths.

                  Another advantage of using two tubes instead of just one is a more balanced
                  color spectrum. I would use one 53K and one 64K tube.

                  Will the two strip lights you mention fit right over your existing hood and
                  look like they belong there? The extra money spent to retrofit an existing
                  hood will be worth it in aesthetical appearances.

                  This is just my opinion.

                • Earle Goodman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2002
                    Tom,

                    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate and respect your opinion. I think
                    you have shown great leadership on the list.

                    In my particular case, I still need to think about this a little longer.
                    Since I have a strip light currently, I do not have a hood to fit into...
                    Also the reflector for the dual 36 watts is 7", my strip light is only 4.5"
                    deep. The 65 watt is only 6 inches deep. They also sell it with a bulb that
                    is 50% daylight and 50% actinic (a good spectrum for plants). I think the
                    purchased strip would "look like they belong there" more than whatever I
                    would come up with the dual 36 watt.

                    --- Ellen O'Connell <oconnel4@...> wrote:
                    > Just thought I'd pipe in here -- compact flourescents really are brighter
                    > than regular. Saw the figure of 160% on APD and I bet that's right. 72
                    > watts of CF light would be a LOT of light on a 29 gallon.

                    These bulbs are also compact flourescents, but they do not have the reflector
                    that A H Supply claims is 62% more efficient than a standard reflector.

                    BTW, for those that are interested in more details, links for comparison are
                    below.

                    http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
                    http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/briteLite.html

                    Thank you again for your comments.

                    George

                    http://health.yahoo.com
                  • Ellen O'Connell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2002
                      >These bulbs are also compact flourescents, but they do not have the reflector
                      >that A H Supply claims is 62% more efficient than a standard reflector. * * *
                      >http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/briteLite.html

                      What I got that shocked me IS a Britelite. It's their 65-watt fixture and
                      I've got it over a 28-gallon bowfront and there's no doubt in my mind that
                      it's more light than 3 watts per gallon of regular flourescent. The
                      reflector that's in the fixture is very polished and mirror-like and very
                      efficient. Since I don't want that much light I've got it positioned over
                      the black plastic strip in the glass cover so that some of the light is
                      blocked. Kind of silly, but I'm the one who ordered the light.

                      Ellen O'Connell
                      Parker, CO
                      mailto:oconnel4@...
                      http://www.rottrescue.com/
                    • Tom Bates
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 6, 2002
                        George;

                        Sounds like you have a plan worked out. I did forget to take the reflector
                        width into consideration. You are correct that it is most likely too wide
                        for a single tube enclosure. Thanks for pointing this out.

                      • drafterman1
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                          I think to solve my problem of not enough light that I'm going to go
                          ahead and design my own canopy where I can put in quite a bit more
                          light than even of the retrofit kits will allow me, plus I really
                          think canopies look sharp when there done right.
                        • Tom Bates
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                            If you want the maximum light in the minimum space, Compact Fluorescents are
                            the way to go. While the retrofit kits (at ahsupply.com) are designed to
                            adapt an existing enclosure to one that accepts CF's, they will also fit
                            quite well in a homemade canopy. All you need to do is design the canopy
                            with the available kit specifications in mind.

                            Tom Bates - Senior LMD
                            Allentown, PA USA
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
                            http://www.UniQuaria.com

                            > I think to solve my problem of not enough light that I'm going to go
                            > ahead and design my own canopy where I can put in quite a bit more
                            > light than even of the retrofit kits will allow me, plus I really
                            > think canopies look sharp when there done right.

                          • Tony'
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                              There remains the problem of the incredible amount of heat produced by
                              conpact fluorescents Tom [ always assuming we are talking about the same
                              thing ]. Here it is already 79* in the shade. It could go into the nineties,
                              touching the 100's later on in summer.
                              When planning a canopy, some provision should be made for the likelihood of
                              heat production being excessive.
                              Tony.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                                The best way to combat this heat is to install a pancake fan into the hood
                                and wire it into the light switch. When the lights go on, the fan does too.
                                Pancake fans can be found at any computer supply store. These are the thin
                                fans mounted on the back of your computer.

                                Another way to remove a lot of heat when planning a canopy design is to
                                mount the ballast for the lights under the aquarium, not in the canopy. This
                                is where the majority of the heat will come from.