Re: [UniQuaria] pleco constipation fix (was:Re: worm farm)

  • Tony Schembri
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2002
      I'm afraid it's not constipation. If it were, a healthy dose of ''greens''
      and fiber would unblock them. Is the long stringy feces also whitish and
      seem never-ending ? Are the pleco's bellies hollowed in ?
      It seems to me that you have a case of internal parasites. It's quite common
      in plecos. In fact, some people can't keep plecos at all because of this
      problem. Depending on the supplier.
      If all your answers are '';yes '', your first line of attack would be to
      dose them with metronidazole [ a gram, -ve antibiotic, which is also
      suitable against certain forms of parasites.] This may be enough. But later
      on, you might have to deworm them completely. All of this, is highly risky,
      of course.
      Sorry about this,
      Tony.

      > > J.C. My plecos do have stringy feces, didn't know it was abnormal.
      > What can
      > > I do to un-constipate them?

    • K.R.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
        Tony, my plecos have brown feces that is never ending :0)....and they are
        very fat and active....so I would have to say, they are just constipated, no
        internal parasites. Kelly