Re: [UniQuaria] list guidelines

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
      <<I thought it may be appropriate to mention that the action by
      petswarehouse against a planted aquarium list challenges your disclaimer.
      I'm sure your idea of the law agrees with 99.999% of the people, and is
      supported by case law. However, if someone like the plaintiff chooses to sue
      they sue. As crazy as it sounds, it's happening.
      http://petsforum.com/psw/Default.html>>

      Please do not believe everything you read. This case is far more complicated
      than you would believe.

      Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
      Visit http://www.frankmgreco.com
      Professional Aquarist
    • Frank M. Greco
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
        <<Hasn't much of the Petswarehouse suit been dismissed (or dropped) and the
        remaining action is just against a few individuals?>>

        Correct. Some of the individuals named in the suit have settled, others have
        not.

      • berney1014@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          <<Hasn't much of the Petswarehouse suit been dismissed (or dropped) and the
          remaining action is just against a few individuals?>>

          Correct. Some of the individuals named in the suit have settled, others have
          not.
          <http://petsforum.com/psw/Default.html> It wasn't dropped. Some people had to
          give up defending because it costs a fortune. You should read the whole case,
          it's hard to believe. The case was refiled last week by petswarehouse, adding
          more people. It is starting all over again. That's why I mentioned your
          clause is up in the air.
        • robertpaulh
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
            --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Tom Bates" <fish2r@p...> wrote:
            > Hasn't much of the Petswarehouse suit been dismissed (or dropped)
            and the
            > remaining action is just against a few individuals? I'm not
            condoning PW's
            > actions or admonishing the remaining individuals here. I would not
            be
            > surprised to hear the remaining action be summarily dismissed as
            well.

            No, far from it. Novak settled with a few of the defendants, and
            recently filed a second amendamant to the complaint naming new
            defendants. He also served a cease and desist letter to most every
            WEB site that carried a banner ad linking to the defense fund WEB
            site. Two WEB sites refused to take down the link to the defense
            fund, myfishbox.com and thekrib.com They could possibly be added to
            the lawsuit.

            In the new amendmant, Bob Novak appears to say anyone with a
            hyperlink to the defense fund WEB site, or presumably
            www.thedefensefund.com is liable for the act of lible... roughly my
            translation of Novaks hard to understand writing. This could set very
            wide legal prescedents for all of the internet and could have a
            drastic effect on the internet as a whole.

            Novak has also said he will sue Compuserve and the better business
            bureau of New York, (claiming the over 20 registered complaints
            against Pets Warehouse are unjust) but has yet to name these parties.
            But the short answer to your question is there is still a very long
            and hard battle ahead.

            Robert Hudson
            http://www.aquabotanic.com
            an unwilling defendant