Re: [UniQuaria] one more try..

  • Larry G. Alexander
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
      Miss Gail,

      I use the "Maxima" model air pump by Hagen.

      Its output is 2500 cc/min of air times two. "Times
      two" means that it has two outlets. It is well made,
      quiet, powerful and dependable. It is also relatively
      expensive and fairly large.

      Regards,

      Larry Alexander
      Tyler, Texas - USA
      www.alexandermusic.com

      At 05:33 PM 11/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hi guys, i think my question kind of got lost.
      >
      >I need the name of an air pump that isn't loud or noisy. I am used
      >tio mine, but the new family isn't. A brand name would be helpful.
      >It isn't the lack ofinsulation or bieng unlevel, it is the pump
      >itself. Tertra Tec AP50 is what i have and what is driving the
      >family nuts. Much louder once the tubing is placed on the outlet.
      >Basically, money isn't an issue for the pump, as they are ready to
      >kill me...
      >Gail
    • xxMoon Wolfxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi  :-)

        I have a penn plax silent air x3 going on a 10 gal in my bedroom and I can't hear it at all unless I go stand right next to the tank!  Maybe you can find one of those?  I don't know how much they cost b/c it was given to me.

        MoonWolf

        Hi guys, i think my question kind of got lost.

        I need the name of an air pump that isn't loud or noisy.
      • Gail Elsey
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
          Thanks for the replies to both you and Vinnie..BTW, I actually know where
          Tyler, TX is...I am from SA and only recently moved.
          Gail
          > I use the "Maxima" model air pump by Hagen.
          >
          > Its output is 2500 cc/min of air times two. "Times
          > two" means that it has two outlets. It is well made,
          > quiet, powerful and dependable. It is also relatively
          > expensive and fairly large.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Larry Alexander
          > Tyler, Texas - USA
          > www.alexandermusic.com
          >

          > At 05:33 PM 11/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Hi guys, i think my question kind of got lost.
          > >
          > >I need the name of an air pump that isn't loud or noisy. I am used
          > >tio mine, but the new family isn't. A brand name would be helpful.
          > >It isn't the lack ofinsulation or bieng unlevel, it is the pump
          > >itself. Tertra Tec AP50 is what i have and what is driving the
          > >family nuts. Much louder once the tubing is placed on the outlet.
          > >Basically, money isn't an issue for the pump, as they are ready to
          > >kill me...
          > >Gail
          >

          > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for
          www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly
          qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed
          your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

        • Adoucette@Atl.carreker.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
            Gail,
            It would be helpful to know how much air you need. How many airstones
            are you driving, what type are they and at what depth are they?
            Depth is an important concern as the back pressure goes up
            substantially the deeper you try to pump air. The type of airstone
            matters because generally the smaller size bubbles you try to create
            the higher the backpressure. In my experience a underpowered pump
            trying to drive air to a deep tank will always generate more noise
            then a correctly scaled pump.
            The other area where I see pumps being loud is when a large pump is
            connected to two few airstones. In this case the back pressure is so
            great it causes the pump to vibrate, so interestingly it acts just
            like the underpowered pump.
            A way to determine if the pump is underpowered is to cut off air to a
            stone at a time. If when you get to the last stone the pump is still
            noisy, then try raising the stone. If you can get to a situation
            where the stone is still at least a few inches in the water,
            producing adequate bubbles and the noise stops, then your pump is
            undersized. If you can't get the noise to stop in this fashion then
            test to see if your pump is oversized.
            An easy way to see if having an oversized pump is your problem is to
            connect the air pump to a two or three way gang valve, don't connect
            a hose to one of the outlets and very slowly open the valve, if you
            can still get adequate air to the stones even while venting air you
            should notice that the pump quiets down. However you will generate
            new noise from the vented air (a white noise hissing sound) This can
            be trapped by putting filter floss in a small box, and punching a
            small hole in the side. Run a tube from the air vent through this
            hole and it will eliminate this noise as well.
            If neither of these work then you simply have a noisy pump and I'd
            start looking for another one, but be sure to consult the output
            capacity of the pump you are buying and try to size it to your needs.
            BTW, some pumps come with an output control which allows you to
            adjust the air output to your needs. These cost a few dollars more
            but are much more versatile as your needs change.
            And finally, in the old days when the pumps were just naturally
            noisy, I'd do this same basic approach and fill a larger box 1/2 full
            with filter floss and put the entire pump inside, then filling the
            rest of the box and taping on the cover, I'd put one small hole in
            the side for the airtube and cord to go through. It worked pretty
            well and the floss acted like a big air filter getting fairly dirty
            after a while, so I'd replace it. One thing is I noticed my pumps and
            airstones seemed to last longer this way. Some newer pumps have
            airfilters that perform this filtering function.
            Now just to be nostalgic, my first airpump was a Supreme piston pump.
            Had a good size motor that drove a fanbelt connected to a crankshaft
            that drove a piston back and forth in a brass cylinder. The piston
            used a leather gasket to act as a piston ring. The air went through a
            check valve (or else on the output stroke it would suck water from
            the tank!) but boy could it pump air!
            I ran a dozen or more tanks off it and still had to vent air, we got
            used to the Thuka, Thuka, Thuka noise after a while and hardly
            noticed it. :-)
            Arthur

            --- In UniQuaria@y..., coachgail@i... wrote:
            > Hi guys, i think my question kind of got lost.
            >
            > I need the name of an air pump that isn't loud or noisy. I am used
            > tio mine, but the new family isn't. A brand name would be
            helpful.
            > It isn't the lack ofinsulation or bieng unlevel, it is the pump
            > itself. Tertra Tec AP50 is what i have and what is driving the
            > family nuts. Much louder once the tubing is placed on the outlet.
            > Basically, money isn't an issue for the pump, as they are ready to
            > kill me...
            > Gail
          • Gail Elsey
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
              20 gallon long and a 125 gallon long. Using long airstones to create a
              bubble wall. The 125 will be coming soon. Guess I should have just cut and
              pasted to the second post. Sorry.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
                Gail,
                So right now the air pump is only pumping to the 20 gal?
                If that's the case I'd think trying to relieve some air pressure
                might quiet the pump down. At least that's what I'd try first.
                Arthur

                --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Gail Elsey" <coachgail@i...> wrote:
                > 20 gallon long and a 125 gallon long. Using long airstones to
                create a
                > bubble wall. The 125 will be coming soon. Guess I should have
                just cut and
                > pasted to the second post. Sorry.
                > Gail

              • Gail Elsey
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
                  And I could do that by...? I tried it by itself, less noisy. Added one
                  tube, no stone, super noisy. Am unsure of what to do. I just ordered a
                  different kind. I never had air pups before, as I have always had power
                  heads and undergravel filters with mechanical/biowheel type.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2001
                    Gail,
                    Do you have a gang valve?
                    Arthur
                    --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Gail Elsey" <coachgail@i...> wrote:
                    > And I could do that by...? I tried it by itself, less noisy.
                    Added one
                    > tube, no stone, super noisy. Am unsure of what to do. I just
                    ordered a
                    > different kind. I never had air pups before, as I have always had
                    power
                    > heads and undergravel filters with mechanical/biowheel type.
                    > Gail

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Gail Elsey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Yes, wide open. Should I add another one?
                      Gail

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Hi Gail,
                        I'm having a hard time following your explanations of what you have
                        done and the responses you got.
                        In general I sugested that one of three things might be the case.
                        A) you have a noisy pump and no matter what you do it will be noisy,
                        so the only solution is to replace it or put it in a box filled with
                        filter floss to dampen the vibrations and sound transmission.
                        B) The pump is over size and is trying to pump too much air through
                        two few stones, hence causing excessive backpressure in the pump,
                        which causes it to vibrate. This situation should be evaluated by
                        venting some air to a hose not connected to a stone. If by venting
                        some of the air you can quiet the pump down then you know your
                        problem is a pump that is too big for what you are using it for. This
                        problem is likely to be resolved once the 125 arrives and you add
                        more outlets.
                        3) The pump is undersize, this is also an excessive backpressure
                        situation, This is tested by simply raising the stone in the tank. As
                        you raise the stone, the backpressure is reduced. If the pump quiets
                        down, then you need a bigger pump.

                        Not all pumps react the same way, my favorite brands are Tetra and
                        Rena (but I haven't tried them all). They seem to make almost the
                        same noise regardless of how hard they are working. As an example of
                        sizing, the TetraTec Deep water pump DW-24 is sized to drive 6
                        airstones at an 18" water depth or 5 stones at 24". The pump is
                        available for about $17. The Rena 200 is sized to power 8 stones at
                        24" and costs about $27. When I buy an air pump I always buy a little
                        more capacity then I plan on using but not a lot more capacity.
                        Arthur

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
                          So, do you suggest that I should add a few more bubble wands? I am only
                          using one at the moment, as the tank is viewed on all sides. I ordered a
                          Rena 200 and a rena 400, so perhaps I should add a few hoses to relieve
                          pressure. I have the Tetra tec 50 AP going in the 20 gallon, but may use it
                          in the hospital tank as I only use the hospital everyonce in a while. Or,
                          maybe I will just buy some more adapters and put a stone in the biofilter
                          and or just leave a hose empty to drive the cats nuts!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2001
                            Hi Gail,
                            We may be getting there, the T Tec 50 is one of the smallest pumps
                            Tetra makes. They consider it useful for up to a 15 gal tank. My
                            guess is the pump is just working too hard.
                            The rena 200 and 400 are more like it. I'd think I'd do just what you
                            are planning, use the 50 for the hospital tank, the 200 for the 20
                            and the 400 fro the 125.
                            But then again, driving cats nuts is a worthy option! :-)