Re: Breeding Bettas

  • Adoucette@Atl.carreker.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi Lisa,
      I'm not an expert on breeding bettas, but I used to breed them some
      time ago and I doubt the procedures have changed much. (Anybody want
      to update this feel free !)
      This was my procedure.
      I'd put the pair I wanted to breed in a two gallon tank with about 6
      inchs of seasoned water in it and an inch of fine gravel on the
      bottom. No filtration was used. On one side I'd put slate and rocks,
      arranged so a female betta could hide behind it and not be seen from
      the other side of the tank. I'd add one bunch of bushy plants. On the
      other side of the tank I'd add a few stalks of floating plants. I'd
      put a clear plastic divider between them and secure with rocks on
      both sides. Female on the rock side, male on the other. A glass cover
      was kept on the tank to keep the humidity up. I used a fairly strong
      light source on top of the tank.
      I'd raise the water temp to the low 80's and feed them well and
      mainly with live food (mosquito larva, daphnia, brine shrimp). I'd do
      10% partial water changes daily.
      The tank was placed where foot vibrations and people walking by
      wouldn't bother them but where they could be observed easily.
      After a while you should notice the male making a bubble nest and the
      female swelling with eggs. After a while the female shows a strong
      interest in getting to the male's side of the tank, at which point
      remove the divider. Mating would usually occur within a day or so.
      Mating is facinating to watch as the male wraps himself around the
      female squeezing the eggs out and fertilizing them at the same time.
      The eggs are heavier then water so they drop, but the male catches
      them in his mouth and then proceeds to put the egg in a bubble.
      Once complete the male chases the female away, which is why you need
      some place for her to hide on the other side of the tank. The male
      will not leave the vicinity of the nest so once she's on the other
      side gently put the divider back in. Later you can remove her. But
      watch this process carefully or the male will kill her and sometimes
      I'd have to net the female to protect her. Now stop with the water
      changes and sit back and wait for the eggs to hatch. The males seem
      to lose interest in food so I stop feeding them for the next phase.
      The bubbles don't last that long and the male spends his time blowing
      bubbles and putting eggs back into the new bubbles. This occurs even
      after they hatch. The male has to stay with the young until they are
      free swimming or they will drown without his assistance. A day or two
      after they are free swiming, I remove the male. The babies need to be
      fed with infusoria and then baby brine shrimp.
      Arthur

      --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Lisa James" <sthwnd@e...> wrote:
      > Edwin,
      > That came up saying the server has exceeded it's bandwidth & has
      been disabled. Got any others for us? Thanks!
      > Lisa

      www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This
      highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your
      website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at
      www.highaspirationsinc.com.

      > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a
      message to:

      Service.
    • Wilma Duncan
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        Adam, I have DT bettas ready to go and they are of good genes. Email me privately and will give you tips on breeding. I just  sent Jan a nice pair.
        Wilma
        I am interesting in trying my hand at breeding bettas.  I've read up
        on it and understand that I want to find siblings to mate for best
        results.  Does anyone know a good place to purchase a breeding pair?
        I live in Southern California and am willing to try mail order as
        well.  Thanks!

        Adam

        Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

      • dragonace31

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            Adam,

            Try www.thefishwizards.com. I have bought from them before and am happy with the results.

            Harry

            dragonace31 <miller31@...> wrote:
            I am interesting in trying my hand at breeding bettas.  I've read up
            on it and understand that I want to find siblings to mate for best
            results.  Does anyone know a good place to purchase a breeding pair?
            I live in Southern California and am willing to try mail order as
            well.  Thanks!

            Adam

            Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • cantbackup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              wilma duncan raises and also sells bettas
            • Tom Reagin
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                Wilma Duncan has betta's. She is a group member. She
                is in West Virginia, but packs well for shipping.

                TomR
                --- dragonace31 <miller31@...> wrote:
                > I am interesting in trying my hand at breeding
                > bettas. I've read up
                > on it and understand that I want to find siblings to
                > mate for best
                > results. Does anyone know a good place to purchase
                > a breeding pair?
                > I live in Southern California and am willing to try
                > mail order as
                > well. Thanks!
                >
                > Adam

                =====
                Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                104 Church Street
                Decatur, GA 30030

                Voice (404)378-3694
                Fax (404)373-0741

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • GramFran413@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2003
                  Take a look at Aquabid.com, Adam.  There are some excellent breeders offering their bettas for sale there -- some real beauties!  And what about our very own Wilma, http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/?  I can tell you that her plants, driftwood, snails are top notch.  Wilma -- do you sell Bettas?
                • Wilma Duncan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2003
                    Have lots of  pretty bettas will post a couple of pics. All very healthy as Jan can tell you how proud she is of hers from the Raffle.
                    Wilma