Re: Algae eaters & cycling tank

  • Lois Pandya
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 1999
      Joe,
      I'm just one state over from you. I have never seen a Bulldog pleco. From the
      way you describe them, I would like to have a couple. Where do you suggest I
      look?
      Lois

      Joseph Eisenhart wrote:

      > From: stonecreeklock@... (Joseph Eisenhart)
      >
      > Hey Rachel, welcome aboard. I believe that the perfect little guy
      > for you, is Chaetostoma sp. sold under the name Bulldog, or Rubber
      > Lipped Pleco. Adult size is just under 4", and they're the best little
      > workers around, plant safe, inexpensive ($5.99), and fairly hearty,my
      > favorites!! However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
      > fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
      > JOE LMD PA USA

      > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

      > Too much mail, too little time?
      > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
      > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@...
    • Tony Schembri
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
        Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
        who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean, water ,,
        and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
        accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
        keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
        going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
        are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
        there are no casualties at all.

        Tony. -- and welcome.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
          Tony Schembri wrote:

          > From: "Tony Schembri" <schembri@...>
          >
          > Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
          > who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean,

          Not so true, they need clean water too.

          > water ,,
          > and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
          > accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
          > keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
          > going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
          > are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
          > there are no casualties at all.

          Edwin Lam
          LMD - Singapore