Re: Algae eaters & cycling tank

  • FISH2R@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
      stonecreeklock@... writes:

      > However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
      > fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
      > JOE LMD PA USA

      Sorry Joe, gotta correct you here. The only fish that will eat hair algae is
      the SAE (Siamese algae eater). Although this fish is sometimes known as the
      Siamese Flying Fox, it is different from the Flying Fox.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA USA
    • d3dd@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
        Rachel, I think your tank sounds intriquing.
        Kind of like a freshwater Reef tank-
        Simple, diverse life forms, interesting
        creatures.
        Joanna, Kansas
      • stonecreeklock@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
          Woops---Tom, I stand greatfully & humbly corrected, and now you
          know just how short my memory is............Thanks, Joe LMD
        • Lois Pandya
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 1999
            Joe,
            I'm just one state over from you. I have never seen a Bulldog pleco. From the
            way you describe them, I would like to have a couple. Where do you suggest I
            look?
            Lois

            Joseph Eisenhart wrote:

            > From: stonecreeklock@... (Joseph Eisenhart)
            >
            > Hey Rachel, welcome aboard. I believe that the perfect little guy
            > for you, is Chaetostoma sp. sold under the name Bulldog, or Rubber
            > Lipped Pleco. Adult size is just under 4", and they're the best little
            > workers around, plant safe, inexpensive ($5.99), and fairly hearty,my
            > favorites!! However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
            > fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
            > JOE LMD PA USA

            > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

            > Too much mail, too little time?
            > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
            > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@...
          • Tony Schembri
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
              Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
              who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean, water ,,
              and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
              accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
              keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
              going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
              are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
              there are no casualties at all.

              Tony. -- and welcome.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
                Tony Schembri wrote:

                > From: "Tony Schembri" <schembri@...>
                >
                > Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
                > who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean,

                Not so true, they need clean water too.

                > water ,,
                > and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
                > accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
                > keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
                > going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
                > are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
                > there are no casualties at all.

                Edwin Lam
                LMD - Singapore
              • jennifer
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
                  My Betta is really peaceful fish. He is usually the victim of aggression. Of
                  course, there is nothing that looks like him and no male bettas in my tank.
                  I don't think he would hurt anything unless it looked like a male betta to
                  him. I think I read somewhere that male bettas might think a male fancy
                  guppy is a male betta. Might stay away from those in the future.
                  Jennifer