Re: Algae eaters & cycling tank

  • stonecreeklock@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hey Rachel, welcome aboard. I believe that the perfect little guy
      for you, is Chaetostoma sp. sold under the name Bulldog, or Rubber
      Lipped Pleco. Adult size is just under 4", and they're the best little
      workers around, plant safe, inexpensive ($5.99), and fairly hearty,my
      favorites!! However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
      fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
      JOE LMD PA USA
    • FISH2R@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
        stonecreeklock@... writes:

        > However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
        > fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
        > JOE LMD PA USA

        Sorry Joe, gotta correct you here. The only fish that will eat hair algae is
        the SAE (Siamese algae eater). Although this fish is sometimes known as the
        Siamese Flying Fox, it is different from the Flying Fox.

        Tom Bates - Senior LMD
        Allentown, PA USA
      • d3dd@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
          Rachel, I think your tank sounds intriquing.
          Kind of like a freshwater Reef tank-
          Simple, diverse life forms, interesting
          creatures.
          Joanna, Kansas
        • stonecreeklock@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 1999
            Woops---Tom, I stand greatfully & humbly corrected, and now you
            know just how short my memory is............Thanks, Joe LMD
          • Lois Pandya
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 1999
              Joe,
              I'm just one state over from you. I have never seen a Bulldog pleco. From the
              way you describe them, I would like to have a couple. Where do you suggest I
              look?
              Lois

              Joseph Eisenhart wrote:

              > From: stonecreeklock@... (Joseph Eisenhart)
              >
              > Hey Rachel, welcome aboard. I believe that the perfect little guy
              > for you, is Chaetostoma sp. sold under the name Bulldog, or Rubber
              > Lipped Pleco. Adult size is just under 4", and they're the best little
              > workers around, plant safe, inexpensive ($5.99), and fairly hearty,my
              > favorites!! However, if your main problem is hair algae, most of my
              > fellow LMDs speak highly of the true Flying Fox, as well...........
              > JOE LMD PA USA

              > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

              > Too much mail, too little time?
              > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
              > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@...
            • Tony Schembri
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
                Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
                who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean, water ,,
                and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
                accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
                keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
                going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
                are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
                there are no casualties at all.

                Tony. -- and welcome.
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10, 1999
                  Tony Schembri wrote:

                  > From: "Tony Schembri" <schembri@...>
                  >
                  > Most often a betta in a community tank is the one who gets picked on ,, not
                  > who does the picking. Bettas are happiest in shallow, not so clean,

                  Not so true, they need clean water too.

                  > water ,,
                  > and all by themselves (females only at mating time ,, when they might be
                  > accepted). I would keep the betta away from the community tank -- you can
                  > keep him in a proprietary betta tank (8'' across). To cycle the tank you're
                  > going to need something living. Introduce three little fishes ( to which you
                  > are not particularly attached) -- you may lose them ,, but then, very often
                  > there are no casualties at all.

                  Edwin Lam
                  LMD - Singapore
                • jennifer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
                    My Betta is really peaceful fish. He is usually the victim of aggression. Of
                    course, there is nothing that looks like him and no male bettas in my tank.
                    I don't think he would hurt anything unless it looked like a male betta to
                    him. I think I read somewhere that male bettas might think a male fancy
                    guppy is a male betta. Might stay away from those in the future.
                    Jennifer