Re: [UniQuaria] How did this break?

  • Tom Bates
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      Sherrilee;

      Was the aquarium sitting squarely on the stand before it was filled with
      water? Did the stand sit evenly on the floor with no wobbling before the
      aquarium was placed on it? If not, when the water was added it forced the
      bottom down to contact the stand (from the weight of the water) or the
      stands feet to contact the floor. Over time, the pressure from this twisting
      effect could have separated the glass seam since this would have been the
      weakest joint. Another thing that could have happened, if it hadn't suddenly
      failed, was to develop a crack in the glass.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA USA
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
        Sherrilee,
        I had a this same thing happen to me about seven years ago with my
        saltwater reef tank. I came home from work to find my tank empty and all the
        water drained into the apartment below. Boy now that made a real mess that I
        had to clean up. Now my tank was level and everything the seam in the bottom
        of the tank just separated and allowed it to drain. This was nothing I did
        to it or lack of care in setting it up it just happened. This does happen I
        have seen this more than once before it has only happened to me once but I
        have some friends that it has happened to.

        Jay
        Jackson, Michigan
        www.modempool.com/mojo

        > Was the aquarium sitting squarely on the stand before it was filled with
        > water? Did the stand sit evenly on the floor with no wobbling before the
        > aquarium was placed on it? If not, when the water was added it forced the
        > bottom down to contact the stand (from the weight of the water) or the
        > stands feet to contact the floor. Over time, the pressure from this
        twisting
        > effect could have separated the glass seam since this would have been the
        > weakest joint. Another thing that could have happened, if it hadn't
        suddenly
        > failed, was to develop a crack in the glass.
        >
        > Tom Bates - Senior LMD
        > Allentown, PA USA
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria

      • Snyman, Johann (J)
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
          I once had a 4 ft tank s front glass crack because someone
          slammed the front door going out
          All the windows and doors were closed at the time. And the
          outside temperature was lower than the house and tank.
          Sorry it is a great mess
          Johann snr
          Secunda
          S/africa

          From: "Tiggrrr1" <tiggrrr1@...
          No. This aquarium was in constant use up until it was
          moved. After being moved it was immediately filled with water and run
          without fish for two weeks.
          At no time was it allowed to "dry out". It didn't stand
          without water for more time than it took to move it from point A to point B.
          Sincerely,
          Sherrilee
          tiggrrr1@...
          <mailto:tiggrrr1@...>

          ---------------------~--> Small business owners...
          Tell us what you think!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/ctpplB/TM
          <http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/ctpplB/TM>

          a message to:
          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        • Mary Jane
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2001
            Sherrilee,

            I think it is of course possible that a knife could have been run
            down the caulking of the tank. But, I guess there is no way of ever
            knowing. It could have been loosened--possible (?) if while she was
            adding the fish, there was leaning on the front pane of the glass.

            I would inspect the caulking and see if there are any unusual cuts in
            it.

            HTH,

            Mary Jane
          • d3dd@webtv.net