Re: [UniQuaria] Re: Lowering water temperature

  • Charles Ippolito
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
      I was thinking the same... that maybe it was the thermometer. I have the one that sticks on the outside of the tank. But, to try and get a bit more accurate, I went out and bought n inside-tank thermometer. The temperature showed just one degree lower.

      Anyway... the temperature now shows at 81 degrees... so over time (of a day) it went down a degree. I'm assuming that this isn't too bad, and if I really need to I have the AC right next to the tank. Although, don't want to go shock the fish.
      :)

      ---Charlie

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
        I keep the AC on whenever I'm home. Without the AC on, the temperature gets to slightly above 80, which I guess explains the water's temperature. But, even with the AC on, the temperature in the tank doesn't go down. Currently its at 81.F.

        ---Charlie

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
            Charlie;

            Is it not possible to leave the A/C on when you are not home? I suppose you
            turn it off in hopes of conserving electricity. My feelings are that once
            the hazy, hot and humid days arrive, I leave my A/C on 24/7. I think it is
            easier on the A/C unit to maintain 72 degrees than to expect it to cool the
            house when I'm home only to allow it to heat up when I'm away.

            The following question is not to be taken in the wrong way. Do you turn off
            your heater in the winter when you are not home? No, you just turn down the
            thermostat so it doesn't stay as warm. In the summer, turn up the thermostat
            so it doesn't stay as cool when you are away.

            Any cooling the A/C provides to the water is immediately negated when the
            house left with the A/C off. Does the water temperature fluctuate between
            the A/C off and A/C on periods?

            Tom Bates - Senior LMD
            Allentown, PA USA
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria

            > I keep the AC on whenever I'm home. Without the AC on, the temperature
            gets to slightly above 80, which I guess explains the water's temperature.
            But, even with the AC on, the temperature in the tank doesn't go down.
            Currently its at 81.F.

            > ---Charlie

          • mopargrrl
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
              We will all take note that Tom does *not* live in California!
              LOL... leave the A/C on *all* day? Hehehe, my electricity
              bill would be more than the mortgage!

              later,
              christine

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
                That's a good point... never looked at it that way. For the most part, yes, the AC is kept off to conserve electricity. I guess there's really no harm done if I keep it on all the time at a steady temperature.

                As for the temperature fluctuating with the AC on/off... to be honest, while the tank has been set up and running, the AC has cooled the house to around 70, and when the AC is off the house probably gets to just about 80, if not more. The tank hasn't been seeing any major changes. When I first put everything in and started up the tank, the temperature was at around 83. This was on Monday. From Monday till today (Thursday), it has slowly decreased down to 81, which is where it's at now. So, to answer your question, I have not seen any fluctuations based on the status of the AC. Maybe I'll leave the AC on straight a few days, and see what sort of results I get.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2001
                  Tina,

                    Another idea just popped into my head. Do you have fluorescent or incandescent lighting? Three of my tanks have fluorescent, and one has incandescent. I have to turn the light off on the incandescent sometimes, as it is only a 10 gallon tank, and the lighting heats the water up to about 82 degrees if I leave it on all day!

                  Lauren

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2001
                      I've got a flourescent light... but since there are no fish in there yet, I only turn the light on when I am inspecting something in the tank... don't even turn it on to check the temperature, since the external light source is sufficient for this.

                      ---Charlie

                      Another idea just popped into my head. Do you have fluorescent or incandescent lighting? Three of my tanks have fluorescent, and one has incandescent. I have to turn the light off on the incandescent sometimes, as it is only a 10 gallon tank, and the lighting heats the water up to about 82 degrees if I leave it on all day!

                      Laura