Re: [UniQuaria] 6 gallon tank is set up!

  • Wilma Duncan
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
      Jay, you did not offend me in any way. we all do things differently and they
      usually work out ok. Sometimes it doesn't and then you know what to do the
      next time. I hope I did not sound offensive I did not mean to do so. Here ,
      the tropical fish are terrible. If you bought a 100, 10 may live. I do not
      recommend even buying in the local stores. If I was to buy fish here to
      cycle a tank, I would have more problems than the tank cycling. A beginner
      would be so discouraged , the tank would end up at the yard sale. You would
      not believe how many people I have helped after running into this problem
      alone. I had a lady call in which the LlFS told her that guppies laid eggs
      and did not bear live fry. One had algae in her 55 gallon tank. No LFS in
      50 miles could tell her how to take care of this. They sold her something
      that killed all her fish within a 24 hour period. Just as she was about to
      tear the tank down and sell it she heard about me and we worked together and
      now she has a healthy system.

      Wilma

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
        I too wait at least 10 days before introducing fish to a new tank
        and try to get anyone buying fish from me to do the same. I have
        tried starting earlier with mixed success, but sometimes you can't do
        that with a fish of choice because of it's requirements. Buying
        hearty fish is good, but if they don't mix with your fish of choice
        then you have fish to get rid of before buying those that you want. I
        know most LFS will take trade in's but only give wholesale value if
        that. Many around here won't take them back at all.
        Lisa, my advice to you is bite the bullet, resist the urge and wait
        the 10 days or so. With the problems you have had in the past with
        that tank, it is better to err on the side of caution.

        Jeff J.
        Ohio

        P.S.- Tell Lianne I am still waiting to take advantage of her
        employee discount. I want a couple of those stingrays they have.~G~

      • Tddybear
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
          Wilma,
          No you did not sound offensive in any way, I am open to suggestions
          because I know that things change and there can always be new and better
          ways to do things. I am sorry to hear that the fish in your area are that
          bad and it is good for all those in your area that they have a good person
          to turn to like you. We here have 4 actual pet stores and then we have
          Meijers here that sells fish well out of all of them there is only one place
          I would even buy any fish from and I look them over real good before I even
          consider buying any of them. If they do not look right or are acting strange
          in any way I will not buy them. The pet store I use to work for the retired
          last year. So now there is no real good places left in this town so I have
          to watch everything real close. I am considering buying mail order if I can
          find or have recommended to me a good place to deal with. I am considering
          getting into angels and discus but the angels here are not very good looking
          and I do not think I would want any of them. As for discus no one here
          carries them so I can not get them here local. As for the people getting
          discouraged I know what you mean I see garage sales here all the time with
          fish tanks for sale in them and I have asked many of them why they are
          selling to hear the same thing most of the time and that is they got
          discouraged. I know I have been thinking about trying my hand at breeding
          discus just to see if I can do it I have done a little breeding of some
          other fish but never them so I am sure if I try this it will be a real
          challenge. I have never done any egglayers before and I think I might try
          something simple first to get a little bit of a hang of it and then may try
          discus. Well I do wish you continued success in your area and the people of
          your area really do have a good person to look to like you and I am sure
          since it is like you say it is they are going to need it.

          Jay

          > Jay, you did not offend me in any way. we all do things differently and
          they
          > usually work out ok. Sometimes it doesn't and then you know what to do the
          > next time. I hope I did not sound offensive I did not mean to do so. Here
          ,
          > the tropical fish are terrible. If you bought a 100, 10 may live. I do not
          > recommend even buying in the local stores. If I was to buy fish here to
          > cycle a tank, I would have more problems than the tank cycling. A beginner
          > would be so discouraged , the tank would end up at the yard sale. You
          would
          > not believe how many people I have helped after running into this problem
          > alone. I had a lady call in which the LlFS told her that guppies laid eggs
          > and did not bear live fry. One had algae in her 55 gallon tank. No LFS in
          > 50 miles could tell her how to take care of this. They sold her something
          > that killed all her fish within a 24 hour period. Just as she was about
          > tear the tank down and sell it she heard about me and we worked together
          and
          > now she has a healthy system.
          >
          > Wilma
        • Wilma Duncan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
            Jay, yesdo try hte egglayers as they are wonderful fish to work with. You
            are wise to do this beforetrying discus. I have worked with tetras, corys
            and barbs, bettas and enjoyed this. If i can ever be of help let me know.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
              Message
              I would say your corys laid eggs and these were where the other fish could not get to them to have a snack.
              Wilma

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Jeff wrote:

                  > that with a fish of choice because of it's requirements. Buying
                  > hearty fish is good, but if they don't mix with your fish of choice

                  And since this is only a 6 gallon, I don't have hte luxury of extra fish in
                  it!

                  > Lisa, my advice to you is bite the bullet, resist the urge and wait
                  > the 10 days or so. With the problems you have had in the past with
                  > that tank, it is better to err on the side of caution.

                  I know, I know, and I will. And I am watching to see if the "death tank" still
                  kills plants! If THEY last ten days, I have high hopes for fish!
                  --
                  Lisa Baird