Re: [UniQuaria] Eheim canister filters

  • mopargrrl
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2001
      Ronnie,

      Any brand of filter material for canisters would work. I'd go with what
      Eheim recommends, unless you have a specific need for something
      else. The stuff is really a one time investment, as you can rinse and
      reuse it for a long time. You'll need something for biological filtration,
      like Ehfilav (lava rocks) or Ehfisubstrat. And something for bio/mechanical
      filtration, like Ehfimech or Biomax (ceramic rings). Thats all you really
      need. You don't want carbon in a plant tank, and a healthy tank doesn't
      require ammonia removal stuff.

      later,
      christine
      danville,CA

      > My Eheim has arrived :o)
      >
      > But it didn't come with any filter media cos i forgot :o(
      >
      > My LFS has biological filt. media and amonia removal stuff. Can i use that stuff
      in my filter for my community tank that has plants?

      > Ronnie

    • Adrian Wymer
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 17, 2001
        Hi, I'm setting up a new 150l (35G) tropical community tank and was
        wondering if the Eheim 2026 Pro II would be overkill or if it has an
        adjustable flow rate to decrease the water flow to about a 35G
        setting. The 2224 and 2213 would probably be more suitable but I'd
        like more info on them if anyone can help, Ta.
      • Adoucette@Atl.carreker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 17, 2001
          Hi Adrian,
          I'd think the 2026 would be an overkill, but it does have an
          adjustable flow, so you could cut it back to 3 or 4 times tank
          capacity. (100 - 140 gph) vs its rated 250. That way if you get a
          larger tank, you can use this filter on it. The 2026 is a BIG filter,
          it has 2, half gallon sized media baskets. The theory is you don't
          have to change the media very often, Eheim says every 3 to 4 months.
          I've never used the new Eheim pro series, I used to use one that
          looks very similar to the 2215, but it was the generation before. I
          liked it ok, but the flow rate dropped off fairly quickly within just
          a week or so after a filter change. I'm currently using the Fluval
          204 on my 20gal and 304 on my 50 gal and I must say I'm very pleased
          with them. I service the filter monthly. I'm sure the 204 would be
          plenty of filter for a 35 gal tank, its rated at 180 GPH. Both the
          204 & 304 come with three media baskets and a huge 4 piece sponge pre-
          filter. There is also a significant price difference, with the Eheim
          2026 about three times as expensive as the Fluval 204 and twice as
          much as the 304 (both with media). Maybe the 2026 is better in some
          way, but to my way of thinking most all modern canister filters
          pretty much do the same thing in pretty much the same way. Both of
          these filters have auto hose shutoffs and are self priming, which
          from a usability standpoint are real handy. The Eheim comes with a
          two year warrenty, the Fluval with a one year warrenty. Maybe someone
          who uses the Ehiem will add their two cents.
          Arthur.

          --- In UniQuaria@y..., "Adrian Wymer" <agewymer@o...> wrote:
          > Hi, I'm setting up a new 150l (35G) tropical community tank and was
          > wondering if the Eheim 2026 Pro II would be overkill or if it has
          an
          > adjustable flow rate to decrease the water flow to about a 35G
          > setting. The 2224 and 2213 would probably be more suitable but I'd
          > like more info on them if anyone can help, Ta.
        • Dedosca
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001

            I would try and set the flow to about 4 times the tank size (140 gal/hr.), and reduce the current if too strong with a spray bar. The more filtration in an aquarium, the better. That is not an absolute comment by the way. There are many tropical fish out there; some require cleaner water than others.

            Dave

            Caracas, Venezuela

            el: Domingo, 18 de Noviembre de 2001 01:00 a.m.
            Para: UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com
            Asunto: [UniQuaria] Eheim canister filters

            Hi, I'm setting up a new 150l (35G) tropical community tank and was
            wondering if the Eheim 2026 Pro II would be overkill or if it has an
            adjustable flow rate to decrease the water flow to about a 35G
            setting.  The 2224 and 2213 would probably be more suitable but I'd
            like more info on them if anyone can help,  Ta.

            Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

          • Justin Hettick
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
              IMO, there is no reason to ever change the media in your
              canister filter. Do you throw away your biowheels every few
              months? The only reason to do this is to pad eheim's
              pockets. Throwing out perfectly good ehfisubstraat =
              throwing away your biofiltration.

              JMH

              On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 05:59:26 -0000
              Adoucette@... wrote:
> [...]
              > wrote:
              > > Hi, I'm setting up a new 150l (35G) tropical community
              > tank and was
              > > wondering if the Eheim 2026 Pro II would be overkill or
              > if it has
              > an
              > > adjustable flow rate to decrease the water flow to
              > about a 35G
              > > setting. The 2224 and 2213 would probably be more
              > suitable but I'd
              > > like more info on them if anyone can help, Ta.

              > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we
              > went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High
              > Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do
              > anything and everything to make your website exceed your
              > expectations. Please visit their website at
              > www.highaspirationsinc.com.
              >
              > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do,

              Justin M Hettick
              Laboratory for Biological Mass Spectrometry
              Department of Chemistry MS 3255
              Texas A&M University
              College Station, TX 77843-3255
            • Adoucette@Atl.carreker.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 18, 2001
                Justin,
                Depends on what type of media you use.
                Peat has to be replaced, if you use Act. Carbon it has to be changed
                or it starts leaching back into the tank. Zeolite has to be replaced,
                if you use it. Evenutally I even change the ceramic substrates as
                they appear to me to be clogged up (actually I soak them in
                Phosphoric acid, then 30% H202 and reuse them, but they soak for a
                month, I only do half at a time (Fluval has a media basket in a
                basket that makes this easy). The sponges you rinse of course I've
                never replaced those, I reuse most of my filter floss, after a good
                rinse or 3 in old aquarium water. Its so cheap (I get it at an
                Art&Crafts store) I don't mind tossing half each time (the bottom
                half), I'm not that familiar with Eheim's media, all I remember is it
                was Ehfi this and Ehfi that and was pretty pricy.
                Arthur

              • Justin M Hettick
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
                  Right.

                  I should have clarified that there is no reason to change
                  the biomedia in your canister. That's all I run in mine (except
                  for one layer of coarse cylinders for mechanical filtration)
                  I was guilty of assuming again. :-p

                  I agree with you that other media types used to alter water
                  chemistry will need to be replaced.

                  JMH

                  ***********************************

                  Justin M Hettick
                  Laboratory for Biological Mass Spectrometry
                  Chemistry Department
                  Texas A&M University
                  3255 TAMU
                  College Station, TX 77843-3255

                  Office: (979) 845 0613
                  Fax: (979) 845 9485

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
                    --- In UniQuaria@y..., Vampyr1476@a... wrote:
                    > I have an Eheim 2228 and it has been an excellent filter for me.

                    *Snip*

                    > Don

                    Is it possible to connect CO2 to go through it so it uses the filter
                    as a reactor for your 2228 and does yours have a flow control knob.
                    I'll probably get a 2222 or 2224 for my 35G.
                  • Tom Bates
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
                      Adrian;

                      CO2 can be injected into any power or canister filter by simply inserting
                      the CO2 supply tube into the intake strainer.

                      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
                      Allentown, PA USA
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
                      http://www.UniQuaria.com