Re: Salt in water

  • Terry Fairfield
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 1999
      Peggy,

      One of the earliest references to using salt in a tank as a treatment is in
      the Innes book EXOTIC AQUARIUM FISHES last edition 1966.
      pg. 62.
      Terry Fairfield LMD
      Machesney Park, IL USA
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 1999
        Peggy Maygar questions the use of salt with live plants.

        Peggy wrote:

        I'd like to do a bit more research on salt for the angels before starting
        it, however. and since all my "breeder" tanks are also show tanks, and are
        planted, I feel the salt is a poor addition for the health of the plants.

        anyone know about salt and freshwater plants?

        my granddaughter is raising guppies, and I have had her adding salt to all
        her tanks as a routine prophylactic.

        Hello Peggy;

        From the research I did on salt I found sodium chloride is not recommended
        for use with live plants. It tends to "burn" the plants. However, calcium
        chloride is safe for live plants. If you have hard water, use this in
        conjunction with a hardness test kit as it will effect the hardness.

        Tom Bates - LMD
        Allentown, PA USA
      • Terry Fairfield
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 1999
          Good suggestion Tom. It makes sense and it's one of those slap your forhead
          and say why didn't I think of that.

          Terry F.