Re: tank size

  • sergiu vexler
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 1999
      Lisa Giroux wrote:

      > From: "Lisa Giroux" <aussiefan@...>
      >
      > Hi all!
      >
      > What a great list this has become!
      >
      > I have a new tank that I bought, and the measurements are 48 x 18 x 18. I
      > have heard that it is a 65, a 72 and an 80. Can someone please tell me how
      > big my tank really is?
      >
      > Secondly, could someone please go over the procedure for adding "found"
      > rocks to the tank? I want some more rocks but jeesh, the ones that I want
      > to buy at the store are pretty expensive and I would like to be able to
      > collect some on my own, if possible.
      >
      > Also, I have an octaganal 20 gallon tank, and I was wondering if angels
      > would do well in this kind of tall skinny tank. Haven't set it up yet and
      > would like to know types of fish that would do well, and if there are any
      > special filtration precautions I should take with a tank like this.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!!!
      >
      > Lisa Giroux
      > Ottawa, Ontario

      I can tel you that your aquarium is a 65 gallon "long" aquarium. A 65 tall is 6
      inches taller and one foot less in length. The reason I know this is because I
      am buying a tank this size too :-)

      Andrei (sergiu@...)
      LMD
      Toronto, Canada
    • Peggy Magyar
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 1999
        Lisa; multiply length x width x height, then divide by 231
        to get gallon capacity of any tank.

        your octagon tank would be nice for angels. they like a taller tank. Just
        be mindful that unless you use added aeration, the fish capacity is related
        to the surface area, not the gallon capacity. a tall tank can support fewer
        fish than a shorter one with the same number of gallons.

        make sure you get extension tubes for the filter so the waste water is being
        drawn from as low in the tank as you can get it.

        Peggy Magyar
        LMD
        Canaan, CT 06018
        >I have a new tank that I bought, and the measurements are 48 x 18 x 18. I
        >have heard that it is a 65, a 72 and an 80. Can someone please tell me how
        >big my tank really is?
        >
        >Secondly, could someone please go over the procedure for adding "found"
        >rocks to the tank? I want some more rocks but jeesh, the ones that I want
        >to buy at the store are pretty expensive and I would like to be able to
        >collect some on my own, if possible.
        >
        >Also, I have an octaganal 20 gallon tank, and I was wondering if angels
        >would do well in this kind of tall skinny tank. Haven't set it up yet and
        >would like to know types of fish that would do well, and if there are any
        >special filtration precautions I should take with a tank like this.
        >
        >Thanks in advance!!!
        >
        >Lisa Giroux
        >Ottawa, Ontario

        >What does Public Radio's "Ask Dr. Science Show" know that you don't...?
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >...That ONElist hosts the largest free e-mail lists on the Internet today!
        >GET FELLOW HOBBYISTS IN ON THE FUN AT UniQuaria!!!
        >List Moderators(LMD) can invite or add other users to the List!
        >If you're intersted in becoming a LMD, send your request mail to:
        >narfnat@...

      • Lisa Giroux

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 1999
            To find the number of gallons in a tank you multiply LxWxH in inches,
            than divide by 231. So 48x18x18=15,552 divided by 231=67.32, taking in
            account for the glass,I'd say it was a 65 gallon tank. One other way is
            to multiply LxWxH in feet than multiply by 7.5, So 4x1.5x1.5=9
            multiplied by 7.5=67.5 again taking into account for the glass,I'd say
            it was a 65 gallon tank.

            James Wesley
          • FISH2R@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 1999
              Lisa Giroux submitted various questions:

              Lisa wrote:

[...]

              Hello Lisa;

              James Wesley answered your question about tank size. I will address your two
              other questions.

              Collected rocks can be tested by placing a few drops of either vinegar or
              muriatic acid on the rocks. After a few minutes if any bubbles are seen, DO
              NOT place them in any aquarium. Muriatic acid is the more precise test.
              Muriatic acid can be found in most swimming pool and hydroponics supply
              stores. One point to remember is, many rocks are made of various minerals
              (composite). Test each rock in a number of areas.

              Here is a partial list of types of rocks that have been found safe.

              Slate, Granite, Lava Rock, Quartz, Onyx, Petrified Wood, Jasper, Agate, and
              Jade

              Here is a partial list of types of rocks that have been found NOT to be safe.

              Marble, Limestone, Dolomite, Sandstone, Coal (often treated with oil to cut
              down dust), Coral, Fossils, and Fools Gold (or any other rock containing
              metallic veins).

              In my opinion, hexagonal or octagonal tanks are produced to attract the eye
              of the human being. I do not feel they are practical from the fishes point of
              view. The majority of the space within these aquariums are vertical. How many
              fish do you know of that swim up and down? Sorry, but that's how I feel.

              Tom Bates - LMD
              Allentown, PA USA
            • JACKHANSEN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 1999
                take the legnth times width times the heighth and divide that number by 231
                and it will give you the total gallons

                jack