RE: [UniQuaria] Re: 15 gal challenge

  • Jeroen T. Wenting
    Message 1 of 39 , May 31 8:57 PM
      There's an experiment going on in which a number of us have installed a 15
      gallon aquarium following the same general principles. Mainly to see what
      influences local differences in available resources have on the success or
      failure of guidelines set up based on the situation in some part of the
      world.

    • missmollie@webtv.net
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 17, 2001
        Hi Ray - Good to hear from you! The pH in my 15 gal challenge tank is
        currently 6.6 ( my tap water is 8.4) I have done one 20% water change
        and topped off the tank numerouse times. The tank was set up on February
        25th. The only problems I have had is the water is very dark because of
        the tannins in the peat and the driftwood so you have to get low light
        plants. As you know I just put a buch in there and experimented with
        which ones would work. The KH is still too low -I probably should do
        another water change while I am home. I am suspecting the problem is my
        huge population of snails. I overfeed the tank - as specified in the
        book - for the plants, but the snails seem to be the ones enjoying the
        extra food. I may totaly be making this up - it is either the snails or
        the plants. Except for the low KH this tank has not given me one bit of
        trouble - I think you should do one.
        Mollie in New Orleans