Re: Algae! Was: Re: [UniQuaria] My Plants are Pearling...

  • Tom Bates
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      Lianne;

      A few algae eating fish or shrimp would be a fine addition. If your current
      fish load is approaching, or at, the high side, I would use either Shrimps
      or Otos (or a combination of the two).

      Do you know your nitrate levels? Something is still out of balance that is
      allowing the algae to prosper. Are you using any type of fertilization? How
      much lighting is on this 20 gallon and how long is it on? Is your tap water
      KH the same as that in the aquarium? Is the measured Phosphate level found
      naturally in your tap water?

      Are you using any supplemental CO2? I would think not since your pH and KH
      represent @1ppm CO2.

      Sorry for the many questions but they are necessary to get a handle on what
      is going on.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA USA
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
      http://dive.to/UniQuaria

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
        Tom Bates wrote:

        > Lianne;
        >
        > A few algae eating fish or shrimp would be a fine addition. If your current
        > fish load is approaching, or at, the high side, I would use either Shrimps
        > or Otos (or a combination of the two).

        Hi Tom! We've had both before, and I like them both. Do you think either will
        be harrassed by the brichardi? There are three and range in size from about
        1.25-1.75 inches.

        > Do you know your nitrate levels? Something is still out of balance that is
        > allowing the algae to prosper. Are you using any type of fertilization? How
        > much lighting is on this 20 gallon and how long is it on? Is your tap water
        > KH the same as that in the aquarium? Is the measured Phosphate level found
        > naturally in your tap water?

        According to my test strips ( which may be too old...) nitrates are at 20ppm.
        There is fluorite in the gravel (or is it laterite? Whichever one is red...)
        and I occasionally use iron root tabs. My tap KH is 3, a little lower. I have
        1.5 wpg fluorescent.

        > Are you using any supplemental CO2? I would think not since your pH and KH
        > represent @1ppm CO2.

        Nope, no addditional CO2.

        Thanks!

        ~Lianne
      • Tom Bates
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
          > > A few algae eating fish or shrimp would be a fine addition. If your
          current
          > > fish load is approaching, or at, the high side, I would use either
          Shrimps
          > > or Otos (or a combination of the two).
          >
          > Hi Tom! We've had both before, and I like them both. Do you think either
          will
          > be harrassed by the brichardi? There are three and range in size from
          about
          > 1.25-1.75 inches.

          Shrimps are susceptible to all fish when they molt. Otos should be fine but
          can't say for sure since I have never kept Apistos. If there are plenty of
          hiding places, the shrimps should be fine even when they do molt.

          > > Do you know your nitrate levels? Something is still out of balance that
          is
          > > allowing the algae to prosper. Are you using any type of fertilization?
          How
          > > much lighting is on this 20 gallon and how long is it on? Is your tap
          water
          > > KH the same as that in the aquarium? Is the measured Phosphate level
          found
          > > naturally in your tap water?
          >
          > According to my test strips ( which may be too old...) nitrates are at
          20ppm.
          > There is fluorite in the gravel (or is it laterite? Whichever one is
          red...)
          > and I occasionally use iron root tabs. My tap KH is 3, a little lower. I
          have
          > 1.5 wpg fluorescent.

          If you have either Flourite or Laterite, additional Iron supplementation is
          not needed. This may be the cause of your algae. I would stop using the Root
          Tabs and begin using a water column fertilizer.